switching from SD to HD workflow and equipment

Posted by 14hdcp 
switching from SD to HD workflow and equipment
September 27, 2005 05:42PM
I just had a meeting with the prez. of the co. and she informed me that we are going to upgrade all our studio equipment. Right now we have DV25 and DV50 decks with SD remote cameras. The upgrades are going to be to either Digi-Beta or some HD config. I currently have the equipment listed below, and I don't have an outside capture card at all now. I'm kinda looking Blackmagic, but I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm basically looking for recommendations for the possiblity of getting an HD workflow. (I will be at the meeting tomorrow now for sure). Obviously, the daisy chained 800gig firewire drives won't be enough. What are the basic upgrade requirements for a (heh heh) problem free system, working from my basic G5 system on hand.

As always, I'll start looking for articles already posted have just sent this out there. If you have favorites, let me know.

Thanks

Barrett Taylor
Re: switching from SD to HD workflow and equipment
September 27, 2005 06:19PM
DV50 is as good as dammit digibeta quality, so going to a dead end format like DB is not a step forward for you. I'd be looking at XDCAM HD (when it arrives) or DVCProHD for your HD move. And get an xraid or something for your drives and give up any worries about speed or size!

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
September 27, 2005 06:44PM
Ah yes, DDQ, (dammit digibeta quality).

We haven't been using the DV50 capabilities except for output and an occasional line cut. All our camera decks are DV25. I've been forced, for right now, to edit in this format. I look forward to the change. Graeme, you were very helpful once when I needed to mix the DV25 and DV50 formats, thanks.

The xraid was also 1st on my list, and has been on my wish list with purchasing since the beginning.

I'm looking for HDV and DVCproHD equipment and advice.

Thanks again.

Barrett Taylor
September 27, 2005 09:31PM
The G5 is workable but a faster system would afford more RTExtreme and a Decklink HD Pro 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 (as needed) or the AJA Kona 2 are good capture cards IF you are going to be using real HiDef decks and require uncompressed media.

If you are going to be using HDV and DVCPROHD, then you do not need a capture card, but only an appropriate deck with a 1394 output port built in.

You only need a FiberChannel RAID IF you are using real uncompressed (200 MB/sec) HI Def.

HDV and DVCPROHD are capable of using single drives for capture and edit.
(One stream - that is) If you have been successfully using DV25 and DV50 to date, then DVCPROHD is a natural.
September 28, 2005 11:43AM
Okay, now that's the kind of feedback I like. Simple and direct

Thank you

Barrett Taylor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics