v1 to V1 - a1 to A3?????

Posted by Rick Sebeck 
v1 to V1 - a1 to A3?????
October 04, 2005 04:39PM
In the millions of features FCP has, I know this is such a small detail to complain about...

It seems that FCP has some master default that thinks that all clips should have two audio tracks. I am working with a ton of clips that only have one video and one audio track. When I start editing, I start stacking clips (a-roll b-roll style with sometimes up to d,e,f,ect!). Now I know I can set the target video and audio tracks each time in the left side of the timeline.. but come on, that would be annoying to do all the time. What's funny is that when you have the default v1 to V1 and a1 to A1, then try to place a clip in V2, FCP puts the audio in V3... leaving room for the "ghost" stereo pair that doesn't exist! Try placing it in V3.. audio goes to A5!

Again.. I know can set the target each time. I just find it odd that FCP has some hidden default of a stereo work flow.

Where are are you hard core FCP gurus that can explain what's going on or more importantly.. how to fix it? I know I can let FCP put it in A3 then select only the audio and shift drag them back into V2 but if you are a speed key freak like me... that is way too complicated! I'm looking for a way to stack clips with one audio and one video track sequentially so V1 and A1, then V2 and A2, then V3 and V3, ect.

THIS JUST IN ---- I just checked the manual to make sure I'm not crazy.. I found the speed key, which will make the process a little faster -- F5 sets video track., F6 sets audio one, and F7 sets audio two. But it still doesn't explain why the default is two tracks!
Re: v1 to V1 - a1 to A3?????
October 04, 2005 04:49PM
AHHH.... superimpose... F12... does the the trick!
October 04, 2005 04:57PM
but that inserts video and audio tracks...
any more ideas?
October 05, 2005 02:28AM
The default to handle stuff as stereo (only when dragging a clip to the timeline) is probably because the vast majority of FCP users only edit footage with stereo tracks. If you're a speed key freak then just use the track patching and F9/F10 key, it's quicker and will give you what you want.

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.uk
----------------------------------------------
10 Final Cut Plug-ins for just $10 each
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics