panning audio in FCP -- how to disable when all I want to change are levels?

Posted by clay 
panning audio in FCP -- how to disable when all I want to change are levels?
October 05, 2005 10:02AM
Whenever I'm editing some audio in FCP 5 (but I've noticed this in previous versions), I find that when I have the clip open in the viewer window, and I'm adding keyframes to change the levels, a keyframe is added to the panning control, and so I get all sorts of wierd panning effects that I don't really want, all because I clicked the keyframe button in the window to get a levels keyframe.

I know that I can control click or right click the track on the timeline and click "remove attributes" and just remove the pan from the track, but it'd be a lot easier if there was a way to disable all the panning business that happens when I'm simply trying to edit track levels. Certainly there's a way.

thanks.
> I find that when I have the clip open in the viewer window, and I'm adding
> keyframes to change the levels, a keyframe is added to the panning control

That never happens to me. Pan and volume have different keyframe controls. Are you clicking on the right keyframe button?

Try this workaround: When you're done with a section of sound, select all sound clips and press CONTROL-. (fullstop). This pans all tracks to the center.
Re: panning audio in FCP -- how to disable when all I want to change are levels?
October 05, 2005 11:26AM
The pink line is volume, the purple is panning? Are you saying that when you keyframe the pink line, it affects the pan?
Re: panning audio in FCP -- how to disable when all I want to change are levels?
October 05, 2005 11:37AM
I realized what I was doing wrong. I was using the keyframe button at the bottom of the viewer window, and not the one that sits to the right of the "level" indicator at the top of the viewer menu when in audio mode.

sheesh.
October 05, 2005 11:39AM
Rick,
Yes. Apparently when the keyframe button (the one at the bottom left of the viewer window) is pressed in audio mode, it adds a keyframe to both the level and pan trakcs. To just change the level or pan track separately, one needs to use the appropriate keyframe button which appears to the right of each track (quite logical, actually).
October 05, 2005 11:53AM
Or press "P" for the pen tool, and click on the pink line to add keyframes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics