Photoshop Forum as good as LAFCPUG

Posted by ericwaraujo 
Photoshop Forum as good as LAFCPUG
October 06, 2005 07:56AM
Hello everybody, I wonder if someone can recommend me a forum for Photoshop where people are as willing to help (and knowledgable) as here.

sry to post a topic not really related to FCP, but I am a user of FCP and Photoshop (like most of you probably) and a BIG fan of LAFCPUG.

best rgds, eric
Re: Photoshop Forum as good as LAFCPUG
October 06, 2005 10:35AM
Eric,

A lot of us use multiple programs and I can probably say that 90% of the membership uses Photoshop. Post your question - just add an "OT" (off topic) heading at the begining.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

i have yet to see ANY forum ANYWHERE that is as responsuve, functional, or cooperative as this one... : (

so yes, ask away!
Greg Kozikowski
October 06, 2005 12:32PM
Pretend it's part of a Final Cut question.

"I'm preparing bumper frames for my FCP 4.5 movie and I can't get the Photoshop zippyscrum tool to work."

Koz

October 06, 2005 01:31PM
Thanks a lot guys, it is probably simple, but it is anoying me a lot to work around it.

So I have two questions bothering me for a long time now.

The first:

whwnever you use a blending mode in a layer , it uses that layer as blending mode to all layers under it. Suppose you put in a layer and apply a hard mix blending mode, all the layers under it will be affected by it. How can I make it affect only the one exactly under it , or the next two , whatever.

I have tryed to put the layers (the one I wanted to use in a different blending mode than normal) and the others I wanted affected, but it still affects everything under it, even out of the set.

I swear I looked at help , books at store, etc. they just don't mention it.

The second:

Can I merge layers that have shapes without having to rasterize first?

say I made a donut in one layer , and a donut in another , can I merge both layers and have , say an eight shape? I know you can add stuff in to the same object in the same layer , but sometimes it is just not practical to build it all in the same layer.

Is there a way to use those boolean operations between shape layers?

thanks a lot guy!
October 06, 2005 01:54PM
Eric,

Since you didn't say what version of PS you are using, I will tell you how I do it with CS2:

1st:

This is a pretty advanced feature, but use Groups. Select the 2 layers (the one you want to affect, and the Transfer Mode layer) and go up to that little black arrow in the upper right corner of the Layers menu and select "New Group from Layers", name it & click OK. Click on the Grouped layer (folder icon) and change the Transfer Mode from "Pass Through" to "Normal". Now, anything you do inside that group will affect noly the group and nothing outside it.

2nd:

To merge your 2 layers: Select donut layer 1 / SHIFT-Select donut layer 2 / hit COMMAND/E

You are using the term "boolean" incorrectly. Booleans use shapes to punch holes in other shapes - not add them together.

You're welcome "guy" winking smiley

- Joey

October 06, 2005 01:57PM
guys! I meant...

I have just tryed again to solve question #1

It turns out that, for some reason, if you apply the blending mode , then creat a set , then drag the layer in the set, it still affect the other under it , even outside of the set.

BUT , if you drag everything in the set, and only then change the blending mode, it restricts this blending mode to the layers inside the set.

well , sry if I took your time, I really have tryed this a lot before, at least now I know, one of those things I guess...

I still have no clue on question #2...
October 06, 2005 02:57PM
You didn't do what I recommended - you skipped the biggest step in #1...change "Pass Through" transfer mode on the group to "Normal". This will keep any transfer modes INSIDE THE GROUP.

Oh well...

- Joey

>>How can I make it affect only the one exactly under it , or the next two , whatever.

Option-Click on the LINE BETWEEN the layer and the layer below. The upper layer icon will shift to the right indicating the upper layer is effecting only the one layer beneath it.

>>You are using the term "boolean" incorrectly. Booleans use shapes to punch holes in other shapes - not add them together.

He's using the term correctly...

Boolean--Of or relating to a logical combinatorial system treating variables, such as propositions and computer logic elements, through the operators AND, OR, NOT, and XOR: a browser that supports Boolean searches.
October 06, 2005 04:21PM
Hello everyone,

thanks a lot again, you can imagine the kind of work around this stuff is pretty bad.

I wish I could help you every now and then too...

the guy, haha
October 06, 2005 04:41PM
founder,

I'm not "quoting" dictionary.com here, I am referring to the term "boolean objects" in the grafix / 3D world.

Sorry for the confusion and thanx for the spanking ;P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics