24p Pulldown Advanced edit timeline then "Print to Video"?

Posted by ZIA 
ZIA
24p Pulldown Advanced edit timeline then "Print to Video"?
October 10, 2005 06:08PM
Hi guys,

Question:
I am getting ready to shoot a music video with my XL2 at the settings of 16:9, 24p Advanced pulldown 2:3:3:2 which will be aired on cable tv network. The cable TV networks are obviously NTSC system format 30fps but if I edit my FCP timeline in 24p Advanced Pulldown 2:3:3:2 in the XL2's native format the video was shot in and then "Print to Video" on minidv or betacam, will the TV networks be able to play the minidv or betacam tapes on there NTSC systems or PAL (if converted to PAL at post house) since the final edit going onto "Print to Video" is in 24p Advanced Pulldown 2:3:3:2.
Thanks in advance,

Zia
Re: 24p Pulldown Advanced edit timeline then "Print to Video"?
October 10, 2005 07:13PM
My questionis, if you are going to broadcast (29.97), why would you shoot 24PA and edit 23.98 fps? What could you possibly gain?

Keep it simple. Shoot 24P, capture and edit 29.97, and output 29.97. Do not muddy the waters by going 23.98 then trying to go back. It makes no sense, and opens the doors to huge workflow problems. The less complex your workflow, the better.
Zia:

This is my workflow: Capture using the Easy Setup 24 Advanced Pulldown settings. Using these setting, you'll edit it in a 23.98 fps sequence. When you are finished, export the sequence to a single piece of media with the same 23.98 fps settings. Re-import the media and place it in a new sequence that has a 29.97 fps rate. You'll have to render the new sequence, but the result will give you NTSC compatible 29.97 fps video.

David Barker
Video Propulsion, Inc.
The only thing you gain, is when editing, you avoid split frames. See [www.adamwilt.com] for a good explaination. Go down to the section:
How is 24p recorded? What's the difference between 24p and 24p Advanced?
ZIA
Re: 24p Pulldown Advanced edit timeline then "Print to Video"?
October 10, 2005 08:08PM
Thanks Shane and David,

Zia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics