Will Walter Murch be signing?

Posted by MikeH 
Will Walter Murch be signing?
October 11, 2005 01:19AM
I have a couple of Walter Murch's books. Any chance for the possibility of getting one or both signed at the next meeting?

-Mike
Anonymous User
Re: Will Walter Murch be signing?
October 11, 2005 01:28AM
Walk him out to his car and thrust a pen in his hand and say please. I'm sure he'll find time

:-)

October 11, 2005 02:33AM
For a second there (until I read the post) I thought the subject line was "Will Walter Murch be SINGING."

Now THAT would be something to see.
Anonymous User
October 11, 2005 02:52AM
How about Shane Ross sings during the pre show? Not much else going on.

:-)

what is the big deal with autographs - it's just another guy doing another job???? could we please get over the whole hero worship?
October 11, 2005 02:58AM
I thought Congress was talking about passing laws AGAINST torture...

Even my own kids don't want to hear me sing...
Anonymous User
October 11, 2005 03:15AM
Hero worship is a good thing. Heros are a good thing. Not enough of them.

October 11, 2005 08:37AM
Amen, Michael!

WOW, not the best attitude, wayne. This isn't Brad Pitt we're talking about. We need brilliant talented successful folks in the biz to look up to. I guess you never had someone you "wanted to be like" or emulate? The guy worked on Apocalypse Now, for chri$t's sake. Winner of 2 Oscars - nominated for 5 more. Not to mention that he IS our worldwide Final Cut Pro advocate!

I would gladly take a leave of absence to be a gofer in his edit suite for the duration of a film - just to watch him work and listen to him talk.

You lucky people...I wish I was out there, Mike. I would definitely tackle him in the parking lot for an autograph & a few words of wisdom smiling smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 11, 2005 10:38AM
Who said he was my hero or that I worship him? It's just an autograph and I thought it would be cool to have the books signed by him.

-Mike
yeah, you guys are right. maybe my comment was a bit harsh and judgemental.

i apologize.
October 11, 2005 11:42AM
What's the big deal about either side of the argument?

People who want Walter Murch's autograph -- great, we love his work, get a memento. Nothing wrong with that as long as we're not stalking the guy.

People who don't want the autograph -- we certainly can like or respect a man's work without needing to go through what might be perceived as a fan-worship procedure?

It ain't Montagues and Capulets here. Let's just do what we each decide and leave the others be, huh? I don't see anything wrong with either side. It's not right to accuse one another of the "wrong attitude" when the issue is so trivial and subjective. There are plenty more important issues than hero worship in the world.
October 11, 2005 12:37PM
Derek,

Why are you quoting me as accusing someone of having the "wrong attitude" when that's not even close to what I said? Don't put words in anyone's mouth. You should read the posts a little more carefully before spanking someone (RMPL). My response wasn't harsh in the least...but thanx for trying to turn it into something it's not.

If the issue is so, (quote) "trivial and subjective" (unquote) to you, maybe you should have just skipped it and let those who feel strongly about it to express their opinions.

These are o-p-i-n-i-o-n-s.

Post Edited (10-11-05 10:42)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 11, 2005 03:47PM
Can't we all just get along?

-Mike
yikes - this is all my fault - sorry guys! : )
Walter's totally cool guys. Just approach him after he's done speaking. Be patient and respectful and you can ask him a question or whatever. I'm sure he'll sign his book if you ask nicely.

Kevin Monahan
October 25, 2005 11:14PM
I would: make him coffee, shine his shoes, brush his dog's teeth, clean his editing suite, wax his car, take out his trash, or do anything else for a chance to see this guy work on a film.

I don't admire or look up to him just because he's old and has a cool beard. He's friggin talented! Excuse my French, but I'm a little excited. I'd actually do all these things to walk in the shadow of any major editor, director, writer.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics