How to normalize audio before going to DVD studio?

Posted by Sam 
Hi!

I've read somewhere that it really pays off to normalize audio before making a DVD of a FCP project.

This is new to me, so can anyone please give me some tips? Should I normalize the audio in FCP, in Soundtrack or in DVD studio pro? I have not been able to find out.

My project is about 6 minutes long, and has mostly CD audio.

Thanks...

Sam
bj
Re: How to normalize audio before going to DVD studio?
October 11, 2005 08:48AM
try the search function

[www.lafcpug.org]
You can do it manually
October 11, 2005 01:05PM
A couple of options:
1) Export a self-contained movie and use Peak or another audio editor to apply normalization, or
2) Nest the whole timeline, then just adjust the audio level of the now single clip so that the loudest portion comes close to peaking, then export to DVDSP from that.
I agree with Jim's #2 answer. Not his first.

Please don't mess around with "normalization" since you may have a tiny little peak in there lasting a billionth of a second that you can manually reduce, but the "normalizing" filter will see that as your maximum level and reduce your output drastically.

Best

Harry
Greg Kozikowski
October 11, 2005 10:37PM
<<<Please don't mess around with "normalization">>>

Especially since, correct me, there is no classic normalization filter inside FCP?

But I agree, all normalization will do is make one slightly loud clip take over the whole show. You should be tuning each clip for proper relationship with the others and the show. This is Sound Post or "Sweetening."

Koz

October 11, 2005 10:44PM
There's no normalization inside FCP, and I do prefer technique 2 above.
A little late and a little ornery:

There is a multiband peak liniter in FCP , and that can certainly help you a whole lot. Apply that to your nested sequence, experiment to taste. Render and output.

FYI:
There are (at least) two types of normalization, relative and absolute- one acts on peaks as reference, the other works on all waveforms. For an example of this, download the demo of BIAS DECK II and check it out- they used to offer both varieties.
----now the rant----
Folks, sound work is a profession. If you need to do a few simple things, well, the tools are there for you to use- but Walter Murch is the exception, not the rule.
If you want to edit, effect, mix and master your own show audio, go ahead- but please take the time to learn about audio work like you've taken the time to learn about picture work. Get some grounding in the terminology and tools so you know what to ask! Take a few classes! Hang out with sound guys (Eww! Even I won't do that! Kidding- just kidding). They are not all ex-Aerosmith roadies (but some good ones are).

Sorry, everyone! I need a band-aid to put over that sore-spot.
Enough.

tc
Greg Kozikowski
October 12, 2005 03:05PM
Sound takes care of itself, doesn't it?

[ducking behind something large, heavy, and reinforced]

Koz

*tc chucks a bunch of ones and zeroes at Koz*

FCP also supports AudioUnits plug-ins, and if you are adventurous and have the time, you can download and install quite few interesting things, free and otherwise.

Many VST plug-ins also come in AU format, or supply wrappers with which to launch them in your AU supported apps...

tc
:-)

Thanks guys! That's really good input here!

Take care,

S
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics