Setting up an old G4

Posted by JoAnn 
Setting up an old G4
October 13, 2005 08:43PM
I am helping a friend to get his G4 that he bought from someone, up and running to install final cut 4.5 He has a 9.2 operating system and a 400 mg processor. He needs to upgrade his operating system with 10 or higher. Where would he get the software to install?
Re: Setting up an old G4
October 13, 2005 08:48PM
There's plenty of secondhand copies of Jaguar and Panther out there for sale - probably people on this list would be happy to sell one to you, FCP will be quite slow on a G4 400 though. Give it as much RAM as you can.
October 13, 2005 10:25PM
He will need OS X, minimum in order to run FCP 4.5. Did you mean 400 Mhz processor? In that case, it's too slow to run FCP 4.5, and also for the newer versions of OS X. He would need at least 512 MB of RAM.
Time to get a new Mac, sorry.

====================================================================
"Prefiero pasar como ignorante cuando pregunto lo que ignoro, que pasar
como ignorante el resto de mi vida".
- A. Hauffen.
====================================================================
October 14, 2005 03:51AM
I would'nt even bother - I would use FCP 3 - 4.5 was built for high spec G5's. I learned on a G4 with FCP 3.2 and it was and still is great, it runs real nice. Trying to run 4.5 on a 400mhz processor will cheat you out of the fun you could have.
October 14, 2005 07:12AM
What about a processor upgrade as well as the extra memory? My G4-400 has a 1.4GHZ processor, 1GB of memory and runs FCP 4.5 on Panther 10.3.4 and it does everything that I need. On the other hand I am not working in the high pressure business world, where I ned the latest technology.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics