Olympic Rings Graphic

Posted by Dan 
Dan
Olympic Rings Graphic
October 15, 2005 01:35PM
Does anyone by chance have an Olympic Ring graphic (to be custom sized in FCP) already built which they might be will to share?

Dan
Anonymous User
Re: Olympic Rings Graphic
October 15, 2005 04:02PM
Are you doing something for the Olympic Committee?

That's a copyrighted logo. You can only use it if sanctioned by the Olympic Committee.

If you're doing something for them, they should supply one to you!

October 15, 2005 04:40PM
ok, now im all for keeping things legal -
but arent we just being a bit nit-picky here?

dan, are you looking for an animated version? extruded? flat? in perspective?
it would be pretty easy to build you one in illustrator/photoshop
Anonymous User
October 15, 2005 05:21PM
Actually, Wayne...

The Olympic Committee makes the RIAAA look like kids on a debate team.

Think Disney. Could you EVER get away with using the mouse ears if Disney didn't sanction it?

I have one corporate client that went through the ringer 'cos they didn't think it should be a big deal to use the Olympic logo for a "one-off little corporate video" that ended up getting a lot of attention, and submitted for awards.

That being said, there may be some way to "alter" it enough. But I just can't recommend making a replica and using it.

my 2 cents

October 15, 2005 07:59PM
Jeez, wayne...Nitpicky? No offense, but I deal with dozens of corporate logos every week, and that's not very professional advice, IMHO. A logo is a Company's identity and the IOC is a WORLDWIDE IDENTITY. I would at least ASK if permission is needed.

Have you ever had your wrist slapped by a company because their logo was "misrepresented" by you? I have (ONCE - and only ONCE) and it almost cost me my job - maybe more. I cropped out a piece of a logo for a Promo and it aired before it was approved - turns out it was a vital part of the logo. Their CEO screamed at my CEO, threatening to pull a $300,000 spot / airtime deal off the table. It was the $hit$torm to end all $hit$torms. Can you say "Cease & Desist"? How about "Lawsuit"?

You don't mess with a worldwide organization's logo (or anyone's logo without permission)...period. You especially don't go on a public forum asking for a company logo...you usually have to get permission to use the .EPS from the organization first and they will provide it to you as THEY WANT IT TO APPEAR ON TV & PRINT (the larger companies provide Pantone / RGB numbers). You can ask them if you can turn the .EPS into a 3D image, but they will have to approve it before it is used.

If you are planning on using this graphic for On-Air broadcast / Commercial use, along with unlicensed Olympic music and unlicensed Olympic tag lines / text, unlicensed Olympic references, etc, then you're out of luck. If you obtain written permission from the IOC, I can build you a pretty spectacular 3D Logo fly / build...but not for free.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 15, 2005 08:24PM
right joe, im with you (and deb!). and i do a lot of work with big corporate logos as well and sometimes you just have to "play in the gray" because for whatever reason, whatever rep didnt get the right logo, in the right format, in enough time... blah, blah, blah...

my point was that before anyone offered suggestions or help to this cat, he got a lecture about legal use. we have no idea what his situation is? maybe its out of his hands, maybe its in his bosses hands, or maybe he actually has clearance but doesnt have his library handy.
October 15, 2005 08:27PM
I left my mind reading helmet in the minivan winking smiley The dude wrote one sentence asking for the graphic. Nobody knows what his sitch is.

October 15, 2005 08:37PM
ha ha, come on joey, you KNOW youre supposed to always have it with you?

what i find really funny is that dan hasnt replied to his own post...
Anonymous User
October 15, 2005 08:50PM
Hey, I'm all for helping folks.

But Dan didn't give us any info.

I offered advice guessing that he was working on a legitimate Olympic Committee project. If they're the client, he should not feel shy about asking them to supply the graphic.

But if he wasn't working on a legitimate program, then he needs to know that using the logo isn't okay.

Perhaps I should have reconsidered the order of my suggestions I chose in my post.

October 15, 2005 09:14PM
nah, im just being a snippy punk ass bitch again ; )
Dan
October 15, 2005 10:25PM
Hey ya'll thanks for your input ... just editing a self-promo piece (a montage of swim footage). am aware of stringent guidelines on using the logo, but this piece isn't for sale... does it count that i competed in the '96 games? hee hee. ok a little horn tootin' never hurt anybody ...
Dan
October 15, 2005 10:27PM
Wayne, just read your post...could i send you a jpeg of the frame it will go over and maybe you could tell me what might work best? im open to suggestions...

dan
October 15, 2005 11:14PM
Dan,

Even self-promo walks a thin line. A logo is a logo and there's a lot of money and legality tied up in those little grafix.

You never know who will see it - especially since you competed. If you competed and can prove it, you should have absolutely no problem obtaining permission to use the logo from the IOC...especially for a self-promo piece.

They might even send you the .EPS.

- Joey

October 16, 2005 05:56PM
sure dan, send away. wg@understandinc.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics