Features cut on FCP

Posted by Phil 
Features cut on FCP
October 18, 2005 09:13AM
Obviously this is an LA based organization and the fact that you have the man who edited Apocolypse Now coming to visit, I was wondering if you LA folks (or anyone for that matter) knows of any other big feature films that were cut on FCP. I know George Lucas used it to assemble segments of that last Star Wars film and that British director Shane Meadows uses it. In London film editors use something called Lightworks which I've never seen before.
Anonymous User
Re: Features cut on FCP
October 18, 2005 10:38AM
There is no definitive list. I imagine some of the folks at Apple know but we don't. All I can say is it's lots and becoming more and more common place. UK is adopting FCP at a good pace. Corpse Bride used FCP. That Disney movie with the pidgins used FCP. Both of them posted in the UK. BBC is rumored to go all FCP in one or more of their departments.

Lightworks is used by many. Thelma Schoonmaker swears by it

October 18, 2005 11:23AM
> Lightworks is used by many. Thelma Schoonmaker swears by it

I didn't know that. Nice trivia. I've talked with my mentor's former assistant, herself now a very experienced editor. She says she uses Lightworks and it does limit her work options. But she does have the pedigree to convince certain producers to let her work on the system of her choice.
October 18, 2005 11:31AM
I recently asked a negative cutter I used on a couple of pictures and she said that she's used lists from FCP on a number of movies and she's very confident with it. Considering the number of low low budget movies made each year that get no press or publicity and never see a commercial theatre I would imagine it's used more than you would suspect. As far as lightworks is concerned....I've only heard negatives.

Barrett Taylor
October 18, 2005 11:36AM
Dear Michael, the BBC has completely switched to FCP and has brought it's editing back in House. I pay for a TV liscence which pays for the BBC who it has to be said has more cash for program making than the other 3 terrestrial channels. I love the fact that the greatest broadcasting corporation in the world uses Final Cut I really do. Phil
Anonymous User
October 18, 2005 11:39AM
Heard her speak in NYC a few years back. Boy, was she wonderful. She made no issue about Lightworks good or bad. She had only been using it for a bit at that time and if I remember correctly she said she doesn't particularly like geeky stuff so unless Lightworks goes out of business, she's sticking with it. Seems to be much more popular in Europe than in the rest of the world.

October 18, 2005 12:11PM
other movies edited in FCP:

-Cold Mountain
-The Lord of the Rings trilogy (used Shake, now an apple program, for gollum etc)
October 19, 2005 04:30AM
FCP seems to please directors using immense CGI - I emt a guy who works for Lightworks and is pals with the Shakespeare in Love editor (lightworks) He had a slight sanctamonious tone. Does lightworks have a 'Joystick?' If it does what for?
PfA
October 22, 2005 03:50PM
This fall we have 5 (that I know of) features cut with FCP:

DreamWorks' "Dreamer"
Fox's "Little Manhattan"
Universal's "Jarhead" (Murch)
Disney's "Valiant"
Warner Bros.' "Corpse Bride"

Go to apple.com/pro to read about the production workflows used. There's currently an article posted about Dreamer.

-PfA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics