Burn cd

Posted by seeker 
Burn cd
October 20, 2005 12:36PM
What's the best way to burn to cd from FCP5 on G4 w/ superdisk for a short trailer (60 sec) using iDVD?
Anonymous User
Re: Burn cd
October 20, 2005 12:52PM
export as a self contained (or not self contained) quicktime movie and drop that file onto the iDVD icon and author and burn.

Make sure all is rendered and audio is mixed down before you export.

October 20, 2005 02:55PM
Not so much! i DVD didn't recognize it. Wasn't offered as option in Applications. Did do this tho: Dragged QT movie to cd icon and burned but very jerky video (398 MB) with clear audio resulted. Maybe Memorex cd wasn't so hot? Have heard of problems with them. So bought another brand, Sony. (Memorex make them, too?) Same problem. Quicktime an issue? Burned uncompressed, 29.97, NTSC DV-DVD Pro, 48 audio, unchecked internet stream. Any thoughts?
Anonymous User
October 20, 2005 03:06PM
Didn't recognize it? I dont get that. Tell us step by step what you are doing.

October 20, 2005 04:10PM
Took QT movie over to iDVD in dock and tried to insert it with cd (not DVD) in Superdisk and got no recognition. Then opened options on cd for applications and no iDVD offered. Then took to applications on Mac HD and nothing. Then took QT movie to cd icon on desktop and burned the file---lousey result. It will burn fine as a DVD in iDVD, but not as cd, anywhere.
October 20, 2005 04:11PM
Let's get it straight between "CD" and "DVD". Are you trying to burn a CD (as you keep calling it) with iDVD? Even though they look alike, a writeable CD and a writeable DVD are not the same thing. iDVD will not recognize a CD. Dragging a movie to a CD icon on the desktop and using Finder to burn it gets you a CD, which will not play well on a computer because the file access is too slow. It was not made for direct movie playback, as DVDs are.

CD (compact disk) has a capacity of about 700 MB
DVD (digital video disk) has a capacity of about 4.7 GB

If you want to burn a DVD, look for one that says DVD-R on it. Memorex is not a good DVD brand. Apple, Maxell, Ritek are usually good.

Does that clear anything up?

Scott
October 20, 2005 04:49PM
Not really. As I say I am trying to burn a cd.
I've got no problem burning DVD. Got stacks of good ones burned of the main work.
This is a short trailer, I'm looking to get it onto a cd. So with failure, I figured out that iDVD does not do this, even tho I thought it might in the beginning. But neither do I get a useable cd by burning it using the procedure I used as listed above, that is, going to the cd icon, opening the file and burning. (This is the way I started out at first but it didn't work, as I said, so I thought that maybe iDVD might be my answer). Even tried the result on my Dell PC in Quicktime (and on my home Sony DVD/CD player --it didn't recognize it) with the same jerky playback.
tc
October 20, 2005 05:31PM
Hi:

If you compress mpeg 1 320x240, you'll be able to burn a VCD using Toast(at least you used to be able to). It'll look like a middling quality VHS tape.
But it'll be on a CD.

tc
Greg Kozikowski
October 20, 2005 06:16PM
<<<But it'll be on a CD.>>>

I wondered. I read the original post and thought everybody else rode off in all different directions.

Can you burn a VCD in Toast? That would be good to know. You can't do it in FCP, right? You never used to be able to.

Interesting if Toast "knows" what a VCD is, why would you have to "pre-save" it in the right format?

Koz

October 20, 2005 06:19PM
A thing about jerky playback - as I said, file access to a CD is usually too slow for smooth playback of a movie. How does it play if you copy the movie file from the CD to your hard drive and play it there? I know this is a step away from real convenience, but it can make it possible to send it to someone else and have them be able to watch it smoothly.

Scott
Greg Kozikowski
October 20, 2005 06:43PM
<<<a CD is usually too slow for smooth playback of a movie.>>>

Not in VCD Format. I've watched really ratty versions of old TV shows on VCD and it was smooth playback. A whole lot of the rest of the world watches movies *only* on VCD and their machines aren't any faster than mine--and mine is terrible.

If you want to watch a QuickTime movie or actual graphic or animation file, then yes. You're toast (pun intended) without copying to the internal drive.

Koz

October 20, 2005 07:39PM
Looks like Toast is it (for now). Will get a copy. Good suggestion re: download cd on hdisk in a pinch. Or, working from that..... let me take cd to my pc, download and re-burn there-how's that? Let you know. Worth a try.
October 20, 2005 08:21PM
Re-burning on Dell didn't help. They use Sonic "Record it" ver.7. But it did play better with only one stop about half way thru with download to Dell desktop and play. (The first disks stopped video about 5 frames in-audio did fine.) Have no idea what the Sonic output is; VCD?
Pc generated disk didn't play well on pc or on Mac either.
Has nothing to do with compression issues, right? We're sure?
October 20, 2005 08:54PM
> Interesting if Toast "knows" what a VCD is, why would you have to "pre-
> save" it in the right format?

Yes, Toast does burn VCD format (I've used it for my editing reel). It's hella slow, though. I don't think iDVD burns VCDs -- why are you trying to burn CDs? And yes, if you're trying to playback a 400MB movie file whose data rate is high from a data CD source, playback will always be jerky. You're not supposed to just play from the CD -- copy the file to a hard drive first or you won't get a clear picture of how good the file is.

If you're just trying to create a data CD containing a QuickTime movie, not a VCD, then you don't even need to use Toast necessarily. Just burn from the Mac desktop.

> Not in VCD Format. I've watched really ratty versions of old TV shows on
> VCD and it was smooth playback. A whole lot of the rest of the world
> watches movies *only* on VCD and their machines aren't any faster than
> mine--and mine is terrible.

Very true. VCDs are all the rage in Hong Kong and across Asia, with a none too shabby presence in Europe, as far as I know. Never caught on in the U.S. at all, though. I used to be able to find very rare, very obscure '70s noir and horror films on VCD in Asia.
October 20, 2005 10:43PM
Just out of curiosity... why the obsession with burning this on a CD instead of a DVD?

Steve
October 21, 2005 06:54AM
<<Just out of curiosity... why the obsession with burning this on a CD instead of a DVD?>>

A tool manufacturer had promotionals cut on cd-rom which appeared as a magazine insert about the time I wanted to burn some 45 sec. trailers for my hour documenetary to send out in mass. Not bad quality. Not great. Graphics are good. Video not so good but acceptable, almost to a purist. Might be best for stills and a slide show/video mix. Thought it would be a less expensive way of distributing "ticklers". And quick and easy.
Obviously, not so. Thought that there might be a business opportunity here in the future if it was practical and it worked. The medium is about half the price, or less, in bulk. Around 28 cents for mass mailings-not incl printing, sleeve and burning, I think it comes out to 65 cents complete.....I think. But definitely worth looking into. Especially if overhead is of concern to you.
Now maybe it is an obsession! But it is being done successfully.
October 21, 2005 12:01PM
OK... now I understand. It sounds like these will be for computer viewing and not for TV so my opinion of the best way to handle this would not be using a VCD but rather - Quicktime Sorrensen with an auto run for the CD.

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics