Music Video, High FPS

Posted by Karan 
Music Video, High FPS
May 20, 2007 10:54AM
Hi guys here's a music video I directed.

We did post on FCP 5.1.

How does it look? Also is the compression OK, i fear some of the movement is coming up crappy?

Shot on Super16, a lot of High FPS photography, shot in a disused power station and no CG at all.

[www.oslobeach.com]

Cheers

Karan K.
Re: Music Video, High FPS
May 20, 2007 11:46AM
Excellent. Must of been a lot of clean up. smiling smiley Great composition in the photography.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 20, 2007 11:56AM
Clean up wasn't too bad, since they were demolishing the station a week after we shot so the company that owned it gave us free reign.

The worst part was, the part of the crew handling the paper hearts were on the tip of the structure which was really tall. When they released some of the hearts they flew off and rained on a street behind the station while cars were going by, that was a little scary, I was certain there'd be an accident when a bunch of hearts landed on a drivers wind shield. All was good however.

All the hearts were real, however some people we show it to with our reel ask us if they were CG! Such is the digital age!

Thanks for checking it Mike, glad you dug it.
May 21, 2007 10:06PM
I really like the colour, karan - nice restricted palette that matches the mood of the music. Great framing too. Nice work.

May 24, 2007 12:25PM
Karan,

Just brilliant! Beautiful. Inspiring to me as a filmmaker. It said so much. Thank you for sharing.

Jas
May 24, 2007 08:14PM
Thank you!
May 25, 2007 01:49PM
Excellent,

Great camera work with great cutting and color correction.
Red hearts in cold, abandoned buildings, i like the contrast of the ideia.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
May 31, 2007 02:06PM
hmm

the imagery was beautiful.

editing:

the first 3 or 4 cuts were on beat then it seems to loose rhythm after that.

the idea of the hearts was good but it seem to me that there should have been blue hearts trying to find read hearts to give a stronger plot and connections to the words. you could have had a red hearts over looking the street where the blue hearts were passing. things like that.

i am not sure how you made those hearts play in the air that long but i am sure that they were not just released in the air. if you keyed that ........... W O W!!! i would like to know how you did it though.

Music:

not my cup of tea couldn't see myself in line at the music store for it. its almost like you save the song with the edit and imagery.

over all good though.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
May 31, 2007 04:13PM
Hey Corbett,

Thanks for your comments.

This may answer your quesstion about "How we Did it":

All the hearts were released on set, we shot at 150 frames a second so it streched out the motion and time a bit, we had a wind machine to blast them and to get them to dance in the air we just released them from the highest point we could, must've been more than 15/10 stories maybe even twenty high, I can't remember. So the wind did it's bit at that level.

All the foam ones were timed and released a certain way to get the right smoothness of motion. I'm still amazed that people expect there to be some cgi/keying/digitial foolery going on when they see this. I'm just very into physical effects rather than digital.

Regarding 'plot' as you mentioned, there is no plot nor a need for more of a plot, my intention was to stay minimalist, it's a music video and at the end of the day not a piece of fiction, simply an excercise in movement, space and rhythm within a frame and ofcourse mood.

Thanks for watching!

Karan

PS: could you explain which bit did you think was keyed and how?

More Random info if you're interested:

Arriflex SR-2 16mm
Stock: Combination of Fuji/Kodak (some scenes are Tungsten stock filmed outdoors with a concious decision to not use the correction/daylight filter)
Graded at the Lab to Digibeta, dub made to Timecoded DV dub offlined on FCP then conformed to Digi.
Max Speed we shot: 150fps
Min speed we shot: 6fps (to get the ones that are lit to flicker faster)
June 01, 2007 12:49PM
the wind machine, was it a couple of stories below or on the same level?

can a fan do the same job.

i am really starting to get into shooting better shots. if i can learn a few technicals and tricks it would be big help.

which camera did you use?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
June 01, 2007 03:03PM
Uhhh....

At the bottom of my last post it mentions the camera, I don't know if you are following but we shot Film.
June 01, 2007 05:46PM
eye see. i think in digital. if you say film to me i am thinking hvx24p. lol

""""
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics