Post Modern Animation

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Post Modern Animation
July 07, 2007 12:45AM
[www.deviantart.com]

A very cute concept animation made in Flash. Apparently it took three months to make. Reckon you'd need to watch it at least three times to catch everything that's going on.

Which is why I posted this here for discussion. Has the web, or any kind of on-demand viewing space redifined the content of our work?

If this animation was shown on TV, as a one off, like things used to be, there is no way you could take in all the action, so probably it would have been dumbed down quite a bit, or written differently so that things happened more one after the other, rather than simultaneously. But since we can and do watch these things over and over, now much more complexity can be built in.

Or is this just a natural progression - faster cuts, more imagery meshed together, more layers of complexity, post modern viewing that references itself endlessly so that some stuff hits the synapse pathways before we even register what is is?

Re: Post Modern Animation
July 07, 2007 01:02AM
Nice. I laughed out loud when the stickman wiped out the "Delete" option!

I think he should've included some control options. That sound is too loud, and rewind/play/stop options were missing.

www.derekmok.com
July 07, 2007 01:56AM
Brilliant!. Loved it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 07, 2007 08:08PM

Nice. I laughed out loud when the stickman wiped out the "Delete" option!

Me too. Brilliant piece of animation.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 07, 2007 08:23PM
Sound was, once again, half the show. He really had the good sense to leave the sound design very flat, very naturalistic, without music. No attempts to oversell the visual gags. Much funnier that way.

www.derekmok.com
July 10, 2007 05:42PM
ha! that was a hoot!
July 22, 2007 12:10AM
2 snaps up in a circle.

i think i may have seen some of your work a while back. did you do one where its was stick man vs stick man were at one point he like shoots him, then arrows him, then he throws his shoe at him?

one stick man multiplies also.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
July 23, 2007 09:11PM
It's not my work, J. I just posted it because I was interested in the simultaneous action and its relationship to the viewing platform.

July 23, 2007 09:49PM
Yeah, it's true about the simultaneous. Watch Carrie and we can see -- when you have a split-screen, you can only ever truly absorb one side of it. When the kindly teacher is crushed, De Palma had to go back to a single frame, or the emotional impact would have been lost.

And even more often the two sides of the split-screen really tell the same narrative beat -- for example, two guys facing off against each other.

www.derekmok.com
July 23, 2007 10:51PM
ahhh eye sea.
i will tell you that that is one of the best stick figure animations i have seen to date. its almost like a mini action flick.

i wonder if the had beat the mouse if they would have blown a hole in the side of the screen to escape the program.

i would vote that as one of the most amusing vids posted by a lafcpug member.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics