My Outtakes trailer
March 01, 2008 03:25PM
Please check out my Outtakes trailer.
I hope you find it entertaining.
The music is also kind of catchy.

Thanks!
Re: My Outtakes trailer
March 03, 2008 06:33PM
It was cute, but he music is too loud - I can't understand what most people are saying.

March 03, 2008 06:39PM
> It was cute, but he music is too loud - I can't understand what most people are saying.

Nailed it.

"Blooper reels" are documentaries. Their sole comedic value lies in how the actors and filmmakers may have screwed up -- you have to get the context very quickly or they're not funny.

Lots of big-studio projects get this wrong as well. Some of the best blooper reels are without music; the ones that don't work are when you put funny music over the whole thing, obliterating the dialogue. Look at Jackie Chan's blooper reels -- unless it's a sight gag (eg. him blowing bubbles in Drunken Master 2), you have to hear the dialogue. Even funnier when you hear the crew saying, "Are you all right, Jackie?"

I think for your blooper reel, you also need to pick funnier takes. The ones on there aren't all that funny or weird. And if you don't have enough of that stuff, there's not much point in doing an outtakes reel.

www.derekmok.com
March 04, 2008 09:23AM
yes, the first time I couldn't hear the music but that may be the way it was converted onto youtube. so I raised the volume before uploading it the second time.

lol, every scene to me seemed funny but since it's my own movie I suppose my own biases came into play. It's like that inside joke only the people involved would understand? hahaha.

my target audience should expand to ones who have never seen it or who weren't involved.
definitely lots of pre-prod thought there.

I was taught that around -12dbs for the foreground and around -24dbs for the background?
March 04, 2008 10:06AM
> I was taught that around -12dbs for the foreground and around -24dbs for the background?

Use your ears. Different kinds of music have different kinds of presence. For example, hip-hop always muddies the dialogue because of too much bass, very loud beats and ultra-clear, dry vocals without melody, and the percussive rapping is exactly what your dialogue would sound like. But Brian Eno, Philip Glass, Cocteau Twins etc. tend to mix in much better because it's "ambient", and the music was originally mixed as such. Music with a lot of space -- eg. a sparse rhythm with light jazzy elements, little guitar noodles etc. -- would also work well if you don't make it too loud.

In the case of a blooper reel, your music can be very low -- something to set the tone or rhythm. Even then, if your material is strong enough to be a blooper reel, you often shouldn't even need to set the comedic tone.

One way to make music a bit more audible is to scoop out the midrange where the voice is. That creates a frequency space for the dialogue so that you won't have to drop the levels of the music as much.

www.derekmok.com
March 05, 2008 11:05PM
not entertaining at all.

i didnt really see ANY blooper/gag elements. just because you took it out, doesnt make it an "out take" seems to me most of the humor of this is may have been lost to inside jokes.
March 10, 2008 08:59PM
I don't get it. Outtake reels are supposed to be funny. This is not funny...

...but that's just me.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 10, 2008 09:57PM
Well, it was funny to me.
And to the people involved with making the little movie.
But that's probably because of all the inside jokes.
Hahahaha.
March 12, 2008 12:25AM
then why present it here? are we supposed to be psychic?
March 12, 2008 08:31AM
Hmmm. Hopefully I'll post something more worthwhile next time.
March 14, 2008 12:00PM
we're not trying to be ass-heads or anything. i guess it would have just been more effective if we (the viewer at large) were in on the jokes...

keep your head up.

w
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics