What codes or compression to use to edit from 10bit raw Big Endian

Posted by Edierobin 
What codes or compression to use to edit from 10bit raw Big Endian
October 09, 2009 12:16PM
Hello

LAFCPUG fans

I am somewhat new to FCP. I have some wonderful HD footage in 10bit raw uncompressed Big Endian 1920x1080 that i need to dumb down for assembly cutting of a doc.

I have a 4 gig ram 1Tmem Mac pro system, FCP 6.2.

I have tried QT H.264..my machine still chokes, goes 12 frames chokes drops frames. I have it set on safe/high quality...not unlimited RT.

My question how should I compress or encode this HD footage to be able to do an assembly cut. we are hiring a post house with an HD system to do final edits...now I ned to do rough cuts, drop in stills footage, scratch music audio etc.

Many many thanks, Best~Edie
Re: What codes or compression to use to edit from 10bit raw Big Endian
October 09, 2009 12:23PM
H.264 isn't the way to go for an offline format. ProRes would be my first thought. DVCPro HD or even anamorphic DV would work.

www.derekmok.com
October 09, 2009 12:32PM
Derek, Thank you for your patient and kind reply. I know how us newbies can drive more experienced people to frustration! I shall get right on it....I'll try those formats after lunch.

Again many many thanks, Edie
October 09, 2009 12:51PM
Is pro res suitable for cutting video clips for DVD studio pro? I shall convert them to mpeg 2 for authoring...this is a rather redundant question I know....Thanks, Edie
October 09, 2009 12:59PM
> Is pro res suitable for cutting video clips for DVD studio pro?

For me, that really isn't much of a consideration for choosing your video formats.

First of all, you spend eight, 10, 12 hours editing, and do it for months. Less than one per cent of that time will be spent authoring DVDs.

Second, you can export a file in a different format for the DVD step, if necessary.

More pertinent questions are:

How fast is your system?
How much storage do you have? How much footage do you have now, and how much will still be coming in?
What is the final destination master? What's the frame rate, frame size etc. of that master? How much effects work is involved?
What was the original source format? What would be involved when you get to the online stage?
How do you organize your footage so that you know which version is which, which format is which, while making sure your edits will be preserved (matching timecodes, file names, etc.)?

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics