best codec for 70 min film to DVD

Posted by Phil UK 
best codec for 70 min film to DVD
January 05, 2010 06:02AM
Hey folks, I just need a straight answer on a 13 gb DV PAL file movie I wish to burn onto a DVD for a viewing. I hear conflicting reports as to Mpeg 2 and DV PAL. Do I use mpeg 2... how much should I compress it. Is there a pan and scan function in DVD studio Pro that does the compressing for you. I use a mac book pro with leopard and FCP 6. The film is DV Pal. Cheers for your help Phil UK
Re: best codec for 70 min film to DVD
January 05, 2010 06:06AM
I'm not sure what the conflicting reports are that you're talking about, as DVDs that play on DVD players are by definition MPEG2. What you do is 'compress' DV into MPEG2.

DVDSP or Compressor do all the compressing for you. The simplest answer is to just choose the preset that most suits your footage and let the programs do the rest. Of course read the manuals on how to operate these programs before you start, but the process itself is really straightforward.

January 05, 2010 06:24AM
Thanks Jude... I think people just like to argue about stuff in England.
January 05, 2010 07:07PM
<<<I think people just like to argue about stuff in England.>>>

It's true. That kind of thing never happens in the US.

Koz
March 09, 2010 03:06PM
I know what Phil is talking about. I have had that question a bunch of times from people who know just enough about what they're doing to be totally dangerous.
THEM "So you do TV and Film and stuff, huh?"
ME "Yep"
THEM " What's better for DVDs, do you think, Mpegs or Quicktimes?"
ME "ummm...urrrr"
THEM "Why are you running away?"

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 09, 2010 03:16PM
My all-time favorite, hands down, is "Which is better, 24p or 60i?"

I used to have a prepared speech that began with "Well, it all depends on what you're trying to do," and then went into detail.

Now I just say "24p," and if they ask follow-up questions I pretend my iPod is too loud for me to hear them.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics