Outputting HDV 1080i50 (PAL?)

Posted by Jewel 
Re: .mov's - shouldn't these play in DVD player? (for non tech client)
April 28, 2010 01:17PM
Ugh - still getting errors - trying to use iDVD.

now it says "the file (null) is missing, even though I imported the .mov from the desktop, and also dragged it over to the "immediate start" window...

Is the software just buggy???

arghhhhhhhhh
Argh! Still won't burn - "errors were found..."
April 28, 2010 01:25PM
I keep getting the message: "Errors were found during the burning process." A later msg mentioned a multiplexing/ burning error.

But it's just a :40, self-contained QT!

WTF?

Then I tried Toast. I tried burning the same :40 (that I output as: self-contained QT => Compressor, resulting in MPEG2 & AC3 audio.) I followed all the Toast prompts, when it asked for separate audio, etc... still/ then: Toast didn't like it.... (?!)

I am at a dead end here - is the client's software just buggy? Also tried new blank DVDs, wondering if those were NG...

I burned a DVD here no problem via iDVD last week...
Argh! still defeated by both iDVD & Toast sad smiley
April 28, 2010 01:33PM
in iDVD:
I keep getting the message: "Errors were found during the burning process." A later msg mentioned a multiplexing/ burning error.

But it's just a :40, self-contained QT!

WTF?

Plan B: Then I tried Toast. I tried burning the same :40 (that I had previously output as: self-contained QT => Compressor, resulting in MPEG2 & AC3 audio.) I followed all the Toast prompts, including when it asked for separate audio, etc... still/ then: Toast didn't like it.... refused to continue (?!)

I am at a dead end here - is the client's software just buggy? Also tried new blank DVDs, wondering if those were NG...

I burned a DVD here no problem via iDVD last week... straight .mov, burned to DVD.
Re: Argh! Still won't burn - "errors were found..."
April 28, 2010 01:36PM
If you have MPEG Streamclip, you can check your .m2v and .ac3 files to see if they play properly.

For Toast, you should be able to simply drop your QTSC (self-contained QT) movie file (.mov) and let Toast transcode and burn it to DVD.

It may help to know exactly what format the .mov (QTSC) file has (use info window in QT Player 7, not QT Player X if you have Mac OS X 10.6.x). Something may be amiss with your .mov file.

VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are free apps that you can use to "see inside" of media files. It would help us to help you better if we also knew the versions of Compressor, Toast, iDVD, etc.

It's also worthwhile for you to learn to quickly burn DVDs using DVD Studio Pro (since it comes with FCS). It is very easy to set up and create a simple, auto-starting DVD (without menus). Takes less than two minutes to set up something simple like you're trying to do. Formatting and burning will take a few minutes after that...

-Dave
Re: Argh! still defeated by both iDVD & Toast sad smiley
April 28, 2010 01:37PM
Try making a disk image from iDVD and then burning using Disk Utility.

All the best,

Tom
April 28, 2010 02:26PM
Thing here is that Jewel is trying to get an HDV 1080i50 clip to play nice in a North American DVD player. To do so, you need to do a standards conversion, then author the DVD. I don't know how iDVD works, but I don't think it does standards conversion.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 28, 2010 02:29PM
>It's also worthwhile for you to learn to quickly burn DVDs using DVD Studio Pro (since it comes
>with FCS).

I've a write up on that here:

[strypesinpost.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 28, 2010 02:42PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thing here is that Jewel is trying to get an HDV
> 1080i50 clip to play nice in a North American DVD
> player. To do so, you need to do a standards
> conversion, then author the DVD. I don't know how
> iDVD works, but I don't think it does standards
> conversion.

Good point!

That's why we asked Julie to check on the format of the .mov file and the Compressor output.

Playing PAL DVD video on an NTSC DVD player wouldn't be fun (or likely work)...
;-)

-Dave
April 28, 2010 02:47PM
strypes Wrote:
> >It's also worthwhile for you to learn to quickly
> burn DVDs using DVD Studio Pro (since it comes
> >with FCS).
>
> I've a write up on that here:
>
> [strypesinpost.com]

I knew I had seen one of these tutorials before. Ken Stone's site, as well...???

I know it's a bit picking at nits... but, your tutorial doesn't show entering a disc name
or how to import the files (and put them into Track 1)... doing so would help make this even more simple... ;-)

Thanks for mentioning this... might be good to link to it from the FAQ?

-Dave
April 28, 2010 03:10PM
Not sure where else stuff like this is. It should be everywhere online, but I put it up so I can instruct my producers on how to author a DVD. (believe me, it's easier than trying to give instructions over the phone).

www.strypesinpost.com
April 28, 2010 03:18PM
strypes Wrote:
> Not sure where else stuff like this is. It should
> be everywhere online, but I put it up so I can
> instruct my producers on how to author a DVD.
> (believe me, it's easier than trying to give
> instructions over the phone).

Ha! Boo to all of us...
;-)

Apple's "version" of Gerard's tutorial, unfortunately without accompanying pictures:

DVD Studio Pro: Authoring a DVD that plays automatically without a menu

We just need to merge Apple's and Gerard's versions! But wait! Ken Stone has already done this for us:

First Play (Auto Play) in DVD Studio Pro

So, no need to use iDVD anymore... well, mostly...???
;-)

-Dave
April 28, 2010 04:02PM
The NTSC option will confuse my producers.

I didn't mention about importing the mpeg2/ac3 into the assets tab. Dragging and dropping straight from the finder will do that. The only downside is the eternal lag when you click on the mpeg2 file in the finder (Apple should have realized that when we select a clip, we don't want the entire mpeg2 decoded and loaded into RAM). SL seems to have solved that.

I've never used iDVD, so I don't know how it works.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Argh! still defeated by both iDVD & Toast sad smiley
April 28, 2010 04:55PM
Thx! We were able to burn on another machine... there seemed to be hardware issues of some kind here...

Meanwhile, doing some homework on converting from PAL to NTSC before burning...

Thx again....
April 28, 2010 06:10PM
Julie, I think you need somebody to sit with you for a few hours and review your workflows and assumptions. You're missing some crucial pieces of basic information that will send you chasing your own tail again and again.

www.derekmok.com
April 28, 2010 06:26PM
Yea, the thread's a mess too. I'm thinking of moving everything to the Compression forum and combining all these threads.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 28, 2010 06:34PM
Yes please. I was going to say, with my moderator hat on, please refrain from making multiple threads on the same topic. If something gets posted in the wrong forum, any of us can move it for you in about a second and a half.

We all know how stressful it can be when things aren't going well, but it's at times like that that it's more important than ever to make it easier, not harder, for people to help.

Re: Outputting HDV 1080i50 (PAL?)
April 28, 2010 09:21PM
> but, your tutorial doesn't show entering a disc name
>or how to import the files (and put them into Track 1)

With my producers, I don't care if it burns as "untitled disc", as long as it plays. But I see your point and changed the picture so it shows dragging from the finder window onto the icon (sheesh, I thought it was simple enough).

[strypesinpost.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 28, 2010 09:50PM
strypes Wrote:
> > but, your tutorial doesn't show entering a disc
> name
> >or how to import the files (and put them into
> Track 1)
>
> With my producers, I don't care if it burns as
> "untitled disc", as long as it plays. But I see
> your point and changed the picture so it shows
> dragging from the finder window onto the icon
> (sheesh, I thought it was simple enough).
>
> [strypesinpost.com]
> -to-burn-a-simple-dvd/

Gerard,

If your producers could follow your instructions, then they probably were simple enough!
smiling smiley

Scary thing is I've seen actual commercial discs (replicated, or maybe duplicated) with generic names... you could probably track down the authoring app by the "untitled_disc" naming convention used... much the way some people can tell that a document was created using Microsoft Word's horribly styled default templates...

Thanks for your help.

-Dave
April 28, 2010 10:07PM
>Scary thing is I've seen actual commercial discs (replicated, or maybe duplicated) with generic
>names

The worst I've seen was this nicely packaged corporate video, with shrink wrap and all, and when you pop it into the DVD player, the generic Sharp DVD recorder menu pops up. Someone crashed record on a consumer DVD recorder for final submission!

www.strypesinpost.com
May 03, 2010 01:44AM
No worries, I used to use compressor a bunch awhile back (earlier version) then, not for awhile...
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics