Removing Letterbox for SD output for web

Posted by HiTom 
Removing Letterbox for SD output for web
April 29, 2010 07:22PM
Hi. I imagine this is easy, but for whatever reason, it's stumping me.

I'm putting together my reel and I have files in a variety of sources, but most of them are SD 720x480. But most of these files were SHOT HD or HDV or in camera matted SD, or matted during the initial edit, but the upshot is that they are letterboxed to look 16x9 or in some cases 2.55:1, while actually being native 4x3.

So I'm trying to get them up on my website WITHOUT the letterbox, but in their correct aspect. I've been exporting qt movie, then converting them to flash via On2 Flix Standard (my website template requires flash movies), but don't know how to appropriately crop them to get them to look right. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom
Re: Removing Letterbox for SD output for web
April 29, 2010 07:25PM
I'll move this to the correct forum for you.

April 29, 2010 07:33PM
Thanks, Jeff. Sorry about that.
April 29, 2010 07:34PM
No worries. There are just different folks who haunt the different forums, and you've a better chance at getting the attention of somebody who knows what the hell "On2 Flix Standard" means over here. winking smiley

April 30, 2010 02:26PM
You can crop using compressor. That would be the easiest way. Duplicate whatever preset you are going to, then go the geometry tab in the inspector and select your source inset to be the aspect ratio you want. 16:9 should do it for you automatically.

Then you can bring the files over to convert to flash.

----------------
"What do you mean there's no undo?"

Matthew Celia
matt@fcpguru.com
www.fcpguru.com
May 01, 2010 12:20PM
You don't actually need to convert them to Flash. Just export them as H.264s from Compressor, change the file extension to .flv and Flash Player 9 and above will recognize them.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
May 01, 2010 09:53PM
Thanks to both of you! The cropping in compressor is working great. Just changing the extension on an H.264 file to flv doesn't seem to work though--when I upload it to my website it won't play. The service I'm using only accepts flv files and I guess can't read them for some reason...

The conversion to flv in On2 Flix Standard is now where the process is breaking down as the clips are looking really contrasty and pixelated, but am playing with different settings there. If anyone has any thoughts on that, let me know.

Thanks again.

Tom
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics