Still having Compressor workflow issues - efficiency

Posted by Jewel 
Still having Compressor workflow issues - efficiency
May 03, 2010 12:30PM
Thanks for helping me earlier...

I'm still having efficiency problems in my outputting/compressing/burning workflow...

This is the PAL show (1080i50), and was set up before I arrived. Client now says he doesn't need NTSC to view (will view on his computer for now, not via NTSC DVD player.)

Since I'm sharing machines to get all this done (part-time, as well) efficiency is a must. To save DVD space, I've been advised to output the cut (25 mins @ 1080i50) as a non-self-contained QT movie, which I did. Then I pulled that into Compressor, and chose DVD Best MPEG2/ Dolby, and desktop.

Now Compressor is telling me it will take 10 hours to Compress (?!)

This is just to burn a DVD for the client, probably on Toast, since I understand iDVD doesn't like the assets I selected via Compressor (?)

This just seems so crazy... Ideas?

Thanks for reading...
Re: Still having Compressor workflow issues - efficiency
May 03, 2010 01:37PM
A few options come to mind.

You might want to try putting the full-quality movie file directly into DVD Studio Pro (or iDVD) and see what the encoding time is.

If he's only viewing on a computer, is it an option to compress the movie file to something like an H.264 MPEG-4 for playing on his computer?

Or, use some kind of interface (deck, conversion box) to playback directly to a DVD recorder. Not the most elegant solution, but it works -- and aside from other issues like dropouts, inferior picture quality and an ugly-looking menu, it's at least guaranteed not to take longer than the running time of your show.

Also, I think you should beef up your storage and then use self-contained movie files. While it takes longer in the short run, it gives you much more flexibility -- for example, you can move that file to a laptop for rendering out MPEG-2s or H.264 MPEG-4s while you keep editing on the main station.

www.derekmok.com
May 04, 2010 10:34AM
See here:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
May 04, 2010 07:12PM
Good post, Jon. The job chaining feature is interesting, but I've found it to be quite unreliable. I had one where I'd do a standards conversion (down scale and conform), then encode an mpeg2 and ac3 file. The .ac3 file turned out truncated.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: can you turn Qtime seq export into AVI
June 30, 2010 12:39PM
I want to export this cut I have done in FCP QT and play it back on PC so it needs to be in AVI file any help would be welcomed can I do it in compressor can I take the Qt and compress it and make it AVI
June 30, 2010 12:43PM
QuickTime Player can export to AVI. I don't think Compressor can, but MPEG Streamclip does.

www.derekmok.com
June 30, 2010 12:47PM
>I want to export this cut I have done in FCP QT and play it back on PC so it needs to be in AVI

Not really. Avi is an antiquated format. What software will you be using on the PC? If it is for general purpose viewing, even wmv will do a better job, with regards to file size. Otherwise, it is good to stick to h.264 in a quicktime. The quicktime player is free for PC users.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics