Exporting for upload to Youtube

Posted by ptptpt 
Exporting for upload to Youtube
July 25, 2010 07:29PM
Hello,
I have been trying to upload a 5 minute video to Youtube but it keeps crasing after 6/7 hours, it's 1.17gb.

I was advised not to compress it as Youtube will compress it in any case.
I am using FCP 4.5, but the footage isn't HD.
This is what i did.
Export Quicktime conversion
Format: Quicktime Movie
Save as: here i manually changed the extension from .mov to .mp4
Video: Compression type: i changed from H.264 to MP4
Frame rate: current
Key frame: automatic
Frame reordering: unchecked
Data rate: automatic
Compressor: Quality: Best
(if i choose H.264 what is correct pass, Multi or Single? as with MP4 there is no option)

SIZE setting: do i keep this 768x576 or change to 640x480 or PAL 720x5765 4:3
(i work in PAL25fps)

SOund:
Compressor: MPEG-4 Audio
16 bit
stereo
OPTIONS:
Compressor: AAC (Low Complexity)
Target output: Specified Bit Rate
Bit rate: 128 kb/s
Output sample rate: 44.100
Encoder quality: Better

Prepare for internet streaming: unchecked

Is there a glaring mistake i am making, like the rest of the world i would like a much smaller file size but not losing any quality.
I hope this is clear enough, any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Exporting for upload to Youtube
July 25, 2010 08:04PM
I use Mpeg streamclip for youtube. It's a two step process, but I like the results a lot better.

A few things
1. That file size is too big for YouTube. The max is now 1GB. Used to be 100MB.
2. How long is your video? The max size is ten minutes (unless you have a special account)

So, anyway, if it's under ten minutes, export a quicktime movie from your timeline. Not a Quicktime conversion, just a Quicktime movie with the settings the same as the timeiine.

Drop this into Mpeg streamclip (free download, incredibly useful program)
Export this to mP4. Depending on the size, I choose ipod 16x9 settings, full quality, data rate restricted to 3000 (or 1500 if you need it smaller), deinterlaced.

Then upload this resulting Mp4 to youtube.

July 25, 2010 08:15PM
Export>quicktime movie with current settings and encode in Compressor instead of QT Conversion.

>Compression type: i changed from H.264 to MP4

That's a nono. h.264 is far superior to mpeg4. Encode with something like 4 or 6 Mb/s. Multipass is always better.

>here i manually changed the extension from .mov to .mp4

.mov is supported by youtube, so you can use that. Or you can use QT to remux your stream into .mp4.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 25, 2010 09:30PM
OK, here is what I use in Compressor 3.5 and it works great! First I choose the Youtube preset and set the following settings.
1. In the inspector click the encoder tab and set file format to Quicktime movie.
2. Under video settings set Compression Type to H.264, frame rate Current, Key frame every 30 frames, check frame reordering, Compressor Quality = high, Encoding best quality (multi pass), data rate to automatic.
3 Under Frame Controls tab set frame controls on, resize filter better, output fields to progressive, deinterlace to better, check mark in Adaptive Details.

I have used this on many 1080 60i projects and it makes a 720p file that looks great on Youtube. Hope this helps.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
July 26, 2010 05:22AM
Thanks very much for your advice, i'll be testing these solutions over the next few days and will let you know which one gave me the best results, for both speed and quality
July 27, 2010 08:16PM
>First I choose the Youtube preset and set the following settings.

Pardon me, but I don't think there was a Youtube preset in FCP 4.5. In fact, I'm not sure if there was Youtube at all in the FCP 4.5 days.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics