AVCHD high profile files to MOV
February 01, 2011 03:04PM
I'm a newbie using FCP 7, a new MAC, and a SONY NEX VG 10 camera that records in AVCHD high profile. I am looking for the most efficient way to convert my files to a form readable by FCP. Here are my questions:

a) there are several conversion programs for the SONY MTS files to MOV files. Is there one program that is generally regarded as superior?

b) my goal is to convert MTS files to MOV files, correct?

c) some programs I have read about increase the size of the files by up to 10x as they eliminate compression. It is necessary to de-compress as you convert?

d) one suggestion was to first transform the files to mp4's with Handbrake and then to MOV files with Streamclip, a two step process. Doesn't this diminish the quality?

I really really appreciate this. The last film I made was in 16 mm on a flatbed and I'm going nuts.
Re: AVCHD high profile files to MOV
February 12, 2011 05:11PM
You should be able to use Log and Transfer in FCP if you kept the original folder structure intact. Not sure if Sony has a separate plugin for this camera.

>c) some programs I have read about increase the size of the files by up to 10x as they eliminate
>compression. It is necessary to de-compress as you convert?

Yes, it is most advisable. You want to get rid of the heavy AVCHD compression for a better editing experience.

>d) one suggestion was to first transform the files to mp4's with Handbrake and then to MOV files with
>Streamclip, a two step process. Doesn't this diminish the quality?

Yes. That is balls. Use Log and Transfer. You do not want to convert numerous times and definitely not to mp4.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics