Best workflow - HDV timeline to SD DVD

Posted by Steve Baile 
Best workflow - HDV timeline to SD DVD
May 05, 2011 07:15PM
Hey Guys,

I have a 10 episode doco project shot in HDV and edited in FCP7 on an HDV1080i50 PAL timeline(s) and have constructed it this way with the view to be able to export out to SD DVD initially and 720HD for Bluray or broadcast later on.

I've zoomed in some clips to a maximum of 150% for correct framing so I know that export to 1080 is not an option but still full res at 720 is viable.

So, having done 90% of the edit myself I've brought in a more experienced editor to finish it (grade & mix) and take it to the SD DVD master for replication. The first stage of distribution.

He's just come back to me with the first ep finished and he's spent much time and effort rebuilding the timeline in SD format. Rescaling all the clips, graphics etc. His reasoning being that to go to SD DVD we need to have an SD timeline.

This seems crazy to me both from the extra work point of view and the fact we now have two versions of the project - can't we just export in current resolution and use compressor to downsize as required for DVD, Bluray 720 or Broadcast.

Who's crazy? Me or him?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Steve Baile

W: www.expeditionfilms.tv
E: steve@expeditionfilms.tv
T: @stevebaile
Re: Best workflow - HDV timeline to SD DVD
May 05, 2011 10:44PM
Compressor is likely to produce superior rescaling due to its Frame Controls, however it will significantly increase encoding time.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics