Feature Request - Keyframe Pair modifier

Posted by Lisa B 
Feature Request - Keyframe Pair modifier
May 24, 2006 10:18AM
After a couple of hours setting audio keyframes for level adjustments, I'm here with a feature request:
Every time I tweak a level I need to set 4 keyframes, then adjust the level line in the selected area between keyframes 2 and 3.
How about a tool (or Pen tool keystroke modifier) that automatically sets a pair of keyframes? That would save me a lot of mousing and clicking.
Re: Feature Request - Keyframe Pair modifier
May 24, 2006 11:06AM
> How about a tool (or Pen tool keystroke modifier) that automatically sets a
> pair of keyframes? That would save me a lot of mousing and clicking.

Instead of using audio keyframes, I tend to razor the audio and use a combination of Cross Fades and OPTION-APPLE-L (Modify - Level) to achieve my volume changes. Not as precise, but a *lot* faster, especially when you're just fading out the audio. Want the entire thing lowered? Select all of them and press one short cut, type in one number, and you're done. Want a longer fade? Double-click on the transition, select the duration window, and enter a number.
May 24, 2006 01:54PM
"tend to razor the audio and use a combination of Cross Fades"

me too, but then it won't export into pro-tools correctly which is my problem over here. i need to send my cuts to an audio dept that wants keyframes....

anything to make keyframing audio faster i am with.
fp
May 24, 2006 02:42PM
> anything to make keyframing audio faster i am with.

When I do need to wrangle with audio keyframes, I often choose to do it in the Viewer. While it takes more steps, what I find is that I'm often struggling with how easy it is to overshoot a move or create unwanted keyframes when dealing with the pen tool -- especially since I use a very small track display size in my Timeline window. Clicking keyframes in the Viewer is more precise and, depending on your work habits and mouse hand, can help eliminate excess moves.
May 24, 2006 05:08PM
YEP........audio editing in the viewer. Left hand on the key board, right hand on the mouse. To be honest I never felt at odds with FCP audio editing. Seems on long editing sessions eventually enough becomes repetitive except for FX. I've also noticed that I tend to remember the audio wave shape I'm creating with key frames and it's usually very close.

But heck if there's a more efficient way........lets have at it.

sailho..........

May 24, 2006 06:54PM
Actually there IS a better way.....but it's expensive. An outboard MIDI mixer...I use one and it is great for fine tuning a mix....there are a number of them ..and FCP 5 (and soundtrack pro) support them....run real time....click on record keyframes....let it play....mix as many channels as you have fingers.....

Just like in the old analog days....

If you don't like the mix -- hit apple z and do it again.

But, it is an expensive option..... Andy
May 25, 2006 01:26AM
What about the audio mix tool? Seems to me that it's made for exactly that. Set it up in preferences to record peaks only (otherwise you get far too many keyframes) and then play through the sequence making real time adjustments with the track sliders. Then go back through with the "record keyframes" button off and make more minute adjustments.

The best thing about the audio mix tool is that your accuracy with the keyframes is not dependant upon your track size. The sliders are not too sensitive and you can work pretty quickly.

However, as far as feature requests, I would like to independantly select keyframes in groups to either move or delete. And not just in the timeline. I can't tell you how many times I needed to make adjustments to keyframes in the filters tabs one at a time. I guess what I'd like is something a little more like AE which is probably the best, most intuitive architecture for adding and manipulating keyframes.

Andy
May 25, 2006 04:28AM
sometimes you just gotta get in there with the scalpel,
and mix tool is not the thing for the job.

but i DO like the external mixer idea.
i'm going to have to get one soon, i think
the behringer's aren't that expensive.
very cheap, actually.
they make a bit of noise as the faders go up and down, though, i understand.

Dual keyframe Feature:
yeah, i kinda like that.
maybe have a preference setting for how far apart they are?

Blade, Trans, Dip:
it seems clunky and round-about, but there are good things about using this method,
ESPECIALLY when you want to shift the dip (under voice that gets moved, say)
rather than move 4 keyframes,
roll 2 dissolves.
BETTER STILL:
would be if we could shift audio KFs like we can picture ones.

OPTION APPLE L:
i much prefer the shortcuts for directly raising and lowering volume:
control +/- for 1db increments (too fine for me)
control [ and ] for 3db increments (what i use mainly, only i re-mapped to control option +/-)

MORE FEATURE REQUESTS:
in fact i wish there was a way to use these shortcuts in a situation like Lisa describes:
mark some keyframes,
(keycombo) +/- raises/lowers just the section you're parked over, or keyframe you;re parked on,

a way to highligt a bunch of keyframes and slide them along would make things a lot easier
in ProTools you can do this
select them with one tool, use another, (or a modifyer) to just slide em along.
or copy/paste
or delete!

i find the timeline better for manual changes than the viewer, only because there's less distance to travel

DID YOU KNOW:
Control Option K adds Audio keyframes?
you don't even have to select the audio if it's on A1+A2

but i'll come back to the Midi Controller as something i really want to explore
could save a LOT of keyframing & mouse clicking!

all the best,
nick

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics