Re: Wish list for FCP 6.0 - It would be nice if...

Posted by Joe Brown 
December 28, 2006 09:30AM
It would be nice to be able to match frame clips in the viewer. This would enable us to match to the original clip from a freeze. Would also be nice to be able to find the bin that a clip is in. In many instances I'm working with someone who says something like: "I want to use the clip of the blonde guy with the glasses, it's in the same bin with the clip of the girl with the red shoes." Now I already have the clip of the girl with the red shoes on my timeline, I just need to find the bin. So when I do a match the bin opens up with the clip I'm matching selected. Also when clips and media are disconnected and I get a message asking me if I want to reconnect it would be nice to have a way to locate the clips in the bins, many times I just want to delete them and move on.

It would be nice to be able to hold down shift or command and roll over the lock icons in the timeline and enable or disable them. The track selectors too (the icon to the right of the lock icon.)

Better linking of rendered clips and their proxy media. When moving, or dividing or moving clips from one track to another they become uneccesarily unrendered. FCP should know what's changed that would affect rendering. If I add a filter then delete it FCP should know that it already has the clip rendered without backing through undo's.

Would someone please give me the ablility to assign audio tracks to multiple output tracks simultaneously (like a real mixer.) For instance I may have SOT on tracks 1&2, NATSOT and Effects on 3&4, Announcer on 5 and music on 7&8. Now I want to do a stereo mix to output tracks 1&2 and a mix minus announcer to 3&4. Or I may just want to do a stereo mix to 1&2 then send the rest of the tracks to tracks 3 - 16 on a DVCPro HD machine or QTmovie.

Also when I'm editing and get a message like "you can't do that because it would split a transition". I want to be able to override and do it anyway.

Better control over ripple editing. FCP should only ripple the enabled tracks (which should be easier to enable and disable -- see above) when I trimming.

Digitize tool should retain reel # when I close it and reopen it. It remembers last clip name. It should know if the last tape was ejected and ask for a new reel # even when the tool is closed. When it asks for a new reel # I should have the option to keep the last reel #.

While we're talking about the digitize tool the interface for enabling audio tracks needs to be reworked. When working with the newer formats that have as many as 16 audio tracks it's a real pain to go through and enable and disable them. It would also be nice to have the video and audio enable tools on the same page with the logging info.

I have to echo everyone else's request to mix formats in realtime on a single timeline.
December 28, 2006 05:29PM
joe:
"Would also be nice to be able to find the bin that a clip is in"

nick:
you can do that.
try Shift F.
doesnt always work for many reasons,
but in general the master / affiliate relationship between lips is easy to break.

joe:
"assign audio tracks to multiple output tracks simultaneously"

nick:
read up on and play around with the audio output settings in your sequence settings.
no bussing, but with some copying of selected tracks you could set up what you want.

joe:
Better control over ripple editing. FCP should only ripple the enabled tracks (which should be easier to enable and disable -- see above) when I trimming.

nick:
what and put everything out of sync?
but if you want to,
OPTION click on a lock icon to lock everything other than that track.
OPTION clicking gives the same behaviour for auto-select buttons, and track visibility.

cheers,
nick
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics