X is here (also new Motion and Compressor)

Posted by Nick Meyers 
X is here (also new Motion and Compressor)
June 21, 2011 08:09AM
Re: X is here (also new Motion and Compressor)
June 21, 2011 08:18AM
Wake up, LA!
June 21, 2011 08:20AM

FireWire device control for streaming capture for tape-based HDV, DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD

Sweet.
June 21, 2011 08:25AM
OK, so I'd love to get it here at work, but I'd REALLY like to not have the install connected to my Apple ID only. In certain situations, having a physical copy is really necessary. Any word on whether this will be available at some point as a DVD? The only thing I see is App Store downloads...
June 21, 2011 08:33AM
Philip Hodgetts is Scary Accurate

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
June 21, 2011 08:55AM
Ripple Training has released training for Motion 5 and FCPx. Might want to download that then download fcpx.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 21, 2011 09:09AM
Has anyone seen if there is an easy way to do multicam editing?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
June 21, 2011 09:12AM
Based on the marketing material from Apple there doesn't appear to be a lot of new stuff in Compressor, just a lot of window dressing. I hope to be proven wrong.
June 21, 2011 09:14AM
Larry Jordan says there's no multicam in X and we should complain to Apple about that.

[www.larryjordan.biz]
June 21, 2011 09:26AM
Larry Jordan has also released a bunch of training material.

[www.larryjordan.biz]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 21, 2011 09:28AM
I really hope you can adjust your screen. We only have seen images with two video track layers. I know you can collapse or next the video tracks but I really want to know if you can make the timeline FULL size on one monitor and have your bin and canvas window on another. That is a big one for me.
June 21, 2011 09:33AM
I completely agree with Michael. We should get the training video from Larry watch then decide when to download and check it out. The beautiful part about that is that it doesn't take over FCP7. What really concerns me is that there is no ability to bring a FCP 7 project file into FCP X. That is a MAJOR DEAL. I am going to remain hopeful and think they will adjust that. I also agree with Larry, we have to remember that in doing a major re-write, there is no way they could have gotten everything into this version.
June 21, 2011 09:48AM
Yay! Finally. Now, what version of MacOSX do you need to have the app store? I haven't upgraded for ages due to a couple of long term projects.

June 21, 2011 10:02AM
I think it's 10.6.6, Jude, but I don't remember. It's not a separate thing; it's part of the OS, so it comes with whatever the relevant Mac OS X updater is.

Clay, Apple hasn't said anything about physical media. There's no reason to think they're going to be manufacturing any. But early reports are that Final Cut Pro X is a self-contained app bundle, which means you can move it around just by copying the app itself. It's not like older versions where you had to run an installer that put tons of different things all over your computer, according to what I'm hearing. So assuming that's correct, you're free simply to copy the app to a flash drive or whatever you like, if you want a tangible backup copy.

Of course, you can always reinstall straight from the App Store just by hitting the download button, so that's also an option.

June 21, 2011 10:08AM
Jeff, doesn't that make it a whole lot easier to pirate?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 21, 2011 10:17AM
A few first impressions

1 - no real time audio mixer (or none I can find) where you can keyframe and move volume in realtime (the mixer is one of the great tools in FCP 7 and earlier

2 - keyboard shortcuts seem dramatically changed - although you can remap to anything you'd like

3 - interesting useful new transitions and filters - would help if more things came up with contextual control click menus

4 - no multicam - big omission
June 21, 2011 10:35AM
Pretty sure your Mac still has to be authenticated to your Apple ID, Strypes. No idea for sure, though. I'm not going to be an early adopter on this one for, sigh, financial reasons. Can't afford to buy it until I get a client to pay for it.

June 21, 2011 10:58AM
June 21, 2011 11:16AM
It is a pretty big download so the way I see it, by the time your download is complete they should have the next version ready to upgradeconfused smiley
June 21, 2011 11:21AM
Here's my contribution from my twitter feed:

Happy Final Cut Pro Solstice, editing software interface nerds!

[twitter.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics