New MBP i7 17"- Upgrade from 4 to 8 Gigs RAM?

Posted by dgage 
New MBP i7 17"- Upgrade from 4 to 8 Gigs RAM?
July 18, 2011 03:09PM
My new laptop is about a week old and I just downloaded FCP-X yesterday. It sounds like from this thread...
"I hate to say this but FCP X is easy ...and fast"

...I should upgrade to 8 Gigs of RAM as it appears FCP-X is a bit of a RAM hog. Everything else is fine, but if FCP-X will run more smoothly I'm guessing making the plunge would make sense. All other apps seem happy with the 4 gigs it came with.

My Projected Workflow is:

1. AVCHD files on external drive (with complete folder structure)

2. Create New Event: point to AVCHD files on external drive; don't copy original media; don't optimize to ProRes 422; create Proxy files.

(I'll know better in a week or two, but...)
I should be able to do most of my editing without dragging around my external FW800/eSata 2 drive RAID 1 setup with me. When I'm ready to export, I can re-connect the drive with the original media. I realize at that point exporting will take longer because I didn't optimize to ProRes 422, but I'm okay with that.

My work is primarily instructional video going on the web, so my software/hardware requirements should be somewhat low. The big question now is whether to drop some more dough on the new RAM.

Thanks,
Dave
Re: New MBP i7 17"- Upgrade from 4 to 8 Gigs RAM?
July 18, 2011 04:07PM
Should be automatic for $85.00:

[eshop.macsales.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 18, 2011 06:14PM
Joe,

Yeah, you're right. I've just spent my yearly allowance (so to speak) on the laptop and FCP-X. I'll give it a couple of weeks before drop any more dough, but $85 is not bad.

Do happen to know how RAM hungry FCP-X actually is compared to FCP 7? Has it moved into the PhotoShop realm?

Thanks,
Dave
July 18, 2011 07:13PM
FCPX utilises every scrap of RAM, and also hits up your graphics card. The bigger those two things are, in theory, the faster it goes.

July 18, 2011 09:03PM
Jude,

"FCPX utilises every scrap of RAM, and also hits up your graphics card."

Since it's brand new, the graphic card is the AMD Radeon HD 6750M. I'll definitely upgrade the RAM then to 8 gigs pretty soon. I might as well max it out.

Thanks,
Dave
July 18, 2011 09:34PM
There's a guide here to what is happening behind the scenes with FCPX in terms of CPU. GPU and RAM usage : [silverado.cc] You have to provide an email address to get it.

July 19, 2011 12:04AM
dgage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I'll definitely upgrade the RAM then to 8 gigs pretty soon. I might as well max it out.

If you're going to max it out then you'll want the 16GB upgrade :-)
[eshop.macsales.com]
July 19, 2011 01:39AM
Andy,

Andy
If you're going to max it out then you'll want the 16GB upgrade :-)

Okay, maybe not that maxed out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics