access to fcp 7 upgrade...

Posted by wayne granzin 
access to fcp 7 upgrade...
July 22, 2011 03:25PM
i never upgraded to FCP7 from the last version of 6.

two questions:

1. is there anything game changing in 7 that 6 doesnt have
2. i see that apple has removed all things FCP from its store site. i guess a retail store with a boxed 7 upgrade is my only option...?
Re: access to fcp 7 upgrade...
July 22, 2011 03:31PM
Final Cut Pro 7 is not available. Apple pulled it, it's gone from the all retail stores too.

The only people who might get more copies of it are enterprise level facilities that already have it, might be allowed to buy more licenses.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 22, 2011 03:39PM
> 1. is there anything game changing in 7 that 6 doesnt have

Colour-coded markers.
ProRes LT, Proxy and 4444 codecs.
Timecode Viewer.
Ripple option for Speed changes.

Diana Weynand had compiled a list, but they're really fussy to find now. In my case, the only really relevant feature was colour-coded markers. All the others were desireable, but not very useful for my own habits and workflows.

www.derekmok.com
July 22, 2011 03:53PM
For me, the upgrade was worth it for the new ProRes flavors alone. But if all you want is the new codecs, you could buy FCPX for $299 (same as the original FCP 7 upgrade) and then download the codec pack that appears in Software Update.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 22, 2011 11:34PM
But the codecs won't be supported by FCP 6's RT extreme engine, and you'll be helping to push FCP X needlessly up the App Store chart..

www.strypesinpost.com
July 22, 2011 11:40PM
Game changing, not really. But little essential stuff for some workflows:

- Color (EOL) exports with reel names
- Compressor does image sequences, and mpeg 2 4:2:2 (but Compressor is $50 now)
- Colored tabs in the timeline in FCP

www.strypesinpost.com
July 23, 2011 01:06AM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the codecs won't be supported by FCP 6's RT
> extreme engine

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Good point.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 23, 2011 03:19AM
- option to ripple or not on speed changes is very cool.

- markers: not only colour options, BUT ALSO option to ripple with the timeline, very cool for chapter markers, etc

- ProRes 4444, LT and Proxy.

i'm using all of these things daily at the moment.

on the downside, i think FCP7 is a little bit buggier than FCP6.
weird, tiny bugs, that aren't springing to mind right now.
the sad thing i suppose is that many of the long-term bugs that have been there for years are still there, and are now never going to be fixed.

nick
July 23, 2011 11:39AM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> on the downside, i think FCP7 is a little bit
> buggier than FCP6.

It's interesting you say that because I've found FCP7 to be more stable than FCP6. They made it harder for corrupt preferences or a rogue plugin at startup to bring down the app. I know this because I had all sorts of tricks for making FCP6 crash (for testing purposes) and none of them worked in FCP7.

My software:
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics