Black Magic or AJA

Posted by Tom Wolsky 
Black Magic or AJA
September 21, 2011 10:23AM
Do either have boards that will work with FCPX?

Thanks.

All the best,

Tom
Re: Black Magic or AJA
September 21, 2011 10:25AM
They will both mirror the desktop but neither is capable of producing broadcast-quality output from FCPX.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 21, 2011 10:40AM
That's what I thought. Thanks Jon. Not very clear from their web pages. A search box would help.

All the best,

Tom
September 21, 2011 11:03AM
AJA has a BETA driver out...but it's not Broadcast Quality (which is the one thing they SHOULD have added to the 10.0.1 update and what's holding me personally from purchasing or recommending FCP X):

[www.aja.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 21, 2011 12:28PM
Apple's site says FCPX will support Broadcast Monitoring early 2012.
September 23, 2011 11:08AM
Finally you can use legacy versions of FCP for monitoring on a broadcast monitor.
But if you start a new project (for broadcast) for a customer with FCPX you probably can't tell him: Come back early 2012 and we'll have a look. smiling smiley

Andreas
September 23, 2011 02:41PM
I don't consider broadcast monitoring to be strictly for the broadcast market. Broadcast monitoring is critical to anyone who values the importance of their work.

But it is a good excuse to charge more to get the omf export option if the client insists on doing it in FCP X.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 23, 2011 03:09PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't consider broadcast monitoring to be
> strictly for the broadcast market. Broadcast
> monitoring is critical to anyone who values the
> importance of their work.

And the improved color manage wouldn't help in non broadcast situations?
[www.philiphodgetts.com]
September 23, 2011 04:33PM
I've been told that external monitoring will be included by early next year but only for Macs with Thunderbolt. If true, and I do not know if it is, that sucks big time.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
September 23, 2011 04:54PM
Steve, two days ago I posted this in the "FCPX 10.0.1 is out" thread:

"I just have a feeling? and it might just be me? that the Broadcast-Quality Video Monitoring that is going to come out in early 2012, is only going to work through Thunderbolt? Again, that's just my paranoia."

I have not heard a statement like that from anywhere. I'm thinking this way because of looking back at Apple's history of doing things. I always feel behind the 8 ball when it come to keeping up with Apple. Example: I only bought the Matrox Mini, 8 months ago. If external monitoring will only work if you have Thunderbolt, then the release of FCPX rendered my Matrox useless.
September 23, 2011 04:55PM
Matrox MXO2 has a Thunderbolt adaptor.
September 23, 2011 04:59PM
But you need a computer with Thunderbolt. I don't have one of those.
September 23, 2011 05:12PM
You'd think given Thunderbolt's relationship to PCIe that a proper signal could be sent down that pipe . . . as FCP7 does now. Of course Apple loves selling hardware.

One thing that's going to snag lots of people is the number of devices that, while the have Thunderbolt, don't have a second port to daisy chain. That makes a lot of these devices "end of chain." So the real snag is that a monitor on that port is also "end of chain" unless you buy Apple's Thunderbolt monitor ($999 ca-ching). Apple loves to sell hardware. hot smiley
September 23, 2011 05:27PM
Apple loves to sell hardware

"ca-ching" is right!
September 24, 2011 01:22AM
>And the improved color manage wouldn't help in non broadcast situations?

In theory. In practice, it depends on the Monitor. Next being color accurate, there is the issue of interlace. You would need a broadcast monitor fir good color. Yes, a device is a device. And you don't really need an IO box like we do today, as long as you are able to send the right signal out via HDMI or HD SDI, or even thunderbolt.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 24, 2011 09:03AM
Agreed ... this is pure paranoia.

There is no logical and/or technical reason to assume that Apple will somehow limit monitoring to devices attached via a specific data connection.

Assuming Apple have got the message (from its potential professional user base) that display mirroring is not acceptable for technical monitoring purposes, then they must be looking at an API to allow 3rd party I/O hardware vendors to access the baseband data, and of course I/O vendors are not limited to using a specific connections, they use PCIe cards, ExpressCard, Thunderbolt, Firewire ... even USB etc.

The only logical way Apple could limit the I/O to Thunderbolt only would be if they are going to take the Avid course of action and limit external connectivity to Apple branded or specially, individually sanctioned 3rd party devices, and both Avid and the industry in general is currently moving away from this model ... frankly, Apple would be signing their own FCX death warrant if thats what they did, and it seems clear that they want folks to take them seriously, not continue to leave in droves.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics