Syncing audio problem

Posted by Dom Stevenson 
Syncing audio problem
September 26, 2011 12:08AM
Well i've probably watched half a dozen tutorials on youtube, and watched the Steve Martin tutorial i bought several times, and i still can't sync my clips from my Zoom H4. The fact is, the "good" audio from the zoom is not in sync with the bad audio from my 5d mkii. So having ended up with a synchronised clip and done everything the tutorials say, the clips are still not in sync. What could i be doing wrong?

Cheers

Dom
Re: Syncing audio problem
September 26, 2011 12:15AM
Did you record at 48kHz on both devices? If you're doing the syncing properly, the clips should stay relatively in sync for at least 45 seconds or so, even if you had different sample rates. How big is the difference? Is it a simple offset (ie. two seconds off at 10 minutes, two seconds off at 20 minutes) or a drift (ie. two seconds off at 10 minutes, five seconds off at 20 minutes)?

www.derekmok.com
September 26, 2011 12:59AM
Hi Derek, thanks for the swift reply.

OK, think i've seen the problem. the new synchronised clip's specs are 720p and 23.98 fps when the original is 1920 by 1080 25 fps. So i guess i need to get this clip consistent with the others. What's the best way to do this, and why is this happening?
September 26, 2011 01:16AM
So it seems my project properties are 720p 60p. I was under the impression that it would automatically set the project to 1080 25 fps when i started importing my footage from the 5D?

What's the best way forwards now? I've not started cutting so could easily go back to square one and reimport from the media cards, but i'm sure there is a much simpler way around this.
September 26, 2011 01:36AM
OK. So i have changed the project properties which were wrong and now everything is 1080p. I have re-synchronised the two clips i wish to use and the synchronised clip is now 1080p too. Unfortunately it is still 23.98 rather than 25fps, so i still have the same problem. Hmmmm....
September 26, 2011 02:26AM
I'm not sure what you're doing, but you can't, or rather, shouldn't change your frame rate after you shoot.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 26, 2011 02:31AM
Strypes

Everything is shot at 1080p 25fps on a 5d mkii. The Zoom was set at 48hz. The problem is that when i make a synchronised clip it becomes 23.98.

It turns out i had the wrong project settings, but have put them right now but the problem persists.
September 26, 2011 02:37AM
You're all over the place. Take a deep breath and go back to the beginning.

First of all, what are you supposed to deliver? 25fps or 23.98fps? That determines what all your settings should be.

When you say you end up with a "synchronized clip", exactly what do you mean? Are you using a nest? Subclip? Merged clip (separate video and audio, linked in a Sequence and then dragged back into a bin as a new master clip)?

And Project Properties isn't where you change the frame rates of your Sequences. That option only affects how timecode is displayed. Exactly what setting are you looking at here?

www.derekmok.com
September 26, 2011 02:44AM
The footage is 1080p 25 fps and should stay there. I have captured my audio separately (for an interview) on the Zoom at the correct settings. I usually use FCP and plural eyes, with no problems, but decided to give the new version a go. i highlight the clip front the canon and the clip from the Zoom, ctrl click and choose synchronise clips. It creates a new clip but the new clip is 23.98 rather than 25 fps.
September 26, 2011 02:48AM
Derek

You're all over the place. Take a deep breath and go back to the beginning.

Perhaps i should have mentioned i'm doing this while looking after my 16 month old daughter. So yes, i'm a little stressed. In fact she's demanding a trip to the park now so i'll have to leave it there and come back later. Any help gratefully received.
September 26, 2011 06:04AM
This is a bug with FCP X 10.0 - when using the official method, the new compound clip that is automatically generated does not match the settings of the video clip if it is 1080p25.

After trying twice, I've synchronised by eye and ear since.

Alex

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
September 26, 2011 08:57PM
Alex

Thanks for that. So this wonderful new function that makes pluraleyes redundant is actually useless? WTF!

I have loads of stuff to sync and no claps (or anything else) to use as a reference. Anyone know if this problem has been addressed in the update?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics