Create Optimized Media broken in FCPX Demo??

Create Optimized Media broken in FCPX Demo??
October 02, 2011 06:12PM
Hello all..
just got the demo the other day, and can't seem to get FCP to create the ProRes files it's been promising me..
I've checked the 'Create Optimized Media' in the prefs AND in the import dialog box, but every time i have it copy the files (and transcode, in theory) to my current event folder, it just copies the H.264 files to the new location.

Also, if i try to transcode after the fact, by CTRL CLICKING on the file in the Event Browser, the 'Create Optimized' is greyed out.

I've gone and checked the files that it's been copying, into my events folder, on the Finder level, and indeed they are just the same H.264 files..

Any suggestions?
(aside from the obvious.. i.e. keep using Compressor to do the H.264 -> 422 transcode)

Husky

groundlift.org
Re: Create Optimized Media broken in FCPX Demo??
October 02, 2011 06:28PM
On your hard drive in the event folder there should be one folder for Original Media and another folder for Transcoded Media. Do you not have that?

All the best,

Tom
October 02, 2011 06:44PM
Tom.

Found the "Transcoded" and "High Quality Media" folders.. but in the inspector it still says the clips are H.264.
Is this just now referring to the original clips, and it's in fact using the Pro Res files, or is this some sort of misinformation?

Also, is there a way around the 'Original Media' getting copied to my Events Folder?
I store all my Canon footage on slower external archive drives, and only pull in to the project what i need for each film / short / video.
My FCP6 workflow was: Transcode via Compressor (from H.264 to ProRes) INTO a folder on my Video Drive (scratch disk) the files i would need.
Now it seems i'm having a hard time keeping things from getting duplicated and / or aliased (new word winking smiley or proxied.

Any ideas?

H

groundlift.org
October 02, 2011 07:16PM
Ok, so further testing: if i throw the 'Original Media' out, and re-open FCPx, all is ok.
If i throw the 'Transcoded Media' out, i get the offline media prompt.. so clearly FCP is referencing the Pro Res media, but the Inspector is not telling the whole story..

btw. . if i use files already transcoded via Compressor, to Pro Res, and just have FCP reference them (import withOUT copying or transcoding) the Inspector tells me they are ProRes, regardless of origin (H.264)

so perhaps this is an Inspector bug?

H

groundlift.org
October 02, 2011 07:55PM
The inspector is telling what the original media is not what's being used for playback.

No, the original media is always preserved.

All the best,

Tom
October 02, 2011 08:13PM
ok, thanks.
good to know.
makes no sense, but good to know.

i.e. if i want to know what kind of file / codec / aspect ratio the clip is, i have to go OUTSIDE of FCP to find this??
wouldn't it make sense that one could use the Inspector to, ehm... Inspect??
what good is it to have it tell me what clips / codecs i'm not using?

is there another way, inside of FCPX, to find out what's going on in the timeline?

H

groundlift.org
October 03, 2011 02:44AM
If you transcoded the media and your playback option is original or optimized, the optimized is always used for playback.

All the best,

Tom
October 05, 2011 11:47AM
OK, good.. thanks Tom!!

H

groundlift.org
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics