MacPro, iMac, FCPX and my theory on desktop hardware

Posted by craig seeman 
MacPro, iMac, FCPX and my theory on desktop hardware
June 13, 2012 11:03AM
Just a theory to toss on to the fire.

It could mean MacPro and iMac are going to be consolidated into a new product line.

Some see this with MacBookAir and the new MacBookPro but they're continuing to make the old MacBookPro. That's probably due to pricing though. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old MBP go away next years (some rumors have predicted this).

What surprised me was the lack of speed bump to iMac and MacPro. iMac to Ivy Bridge and MacPro to Sandy Bridge. Neither would have been major design changes. Why avoid that interim implementation?

My guess is that Apple is accelerating the move away from old technology and they don't want users hanging on to another generation of iMacs and MacPros they have to support (parts, OS tie ins).

I suspect FCPX will continue to tie more closely with the OS and hardware and they want to drop backward compatibility as quickly as possible. It'll be interesting to see how quickly 10.6.8 support falls, which by this summer, will be two OSs back. You can already see some differences which range from the way App Store downloads are handled as will as FCPX SAN support.

In other words, the gap in hardware updates is deliberate. In this case Tim Cook, the channel master, wants to us to clear out our channels by ceasing interim updates on desktops.
Re: MacPro, iMac, FCPX and my theory on desktop hardware
June 13, 2012 11:06AM
That's all well and good, but what are people supposed to do in the meantime? We've been waiting two years for a new Mac Pro and now we've got to wait another?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 13, 2012 11:36AM
what are people supposed to do in the meantime? We've been waiting two years for a new Mac Pro and now we've got to wait another?

I'm in that boat with a 2008 MP that I want to replace. Even an interim iMac is debatable as it too is aging having not been updated since May 2010 I believe.

I'm not saying I like this but I think this is Apple's strategy. Even more so than the MacPro, I can's see any other reason to not update the iMac to Ivy Bridge than what I theorize.

Imagine when you have companies like Autodesk with their Smoke on iMac now nearly in the same situation as MacPro users, supporting old hardware.

With Cook's direct clarification that the comments quoted by Pogue (NY Times) and Forbes are about MacPro and not iMac, either something is delaying what should be a simple iMac update or whatever happens next year will be a consolidation of the desktop line into a new Pro model. That makes sense to me on many levels based on both sales numbers, professional needs, where the desktop market is heading in general, what they've learned from their consumer products, what we now see in the MBP Retina (MBPr).

As professionals we'll do what we have to of course. I suspect Apple feels either we'll be back or we'll be replaced by attrition. I'm not saying I like that. It does seem to be the case in my analysis of their changing business model. . . . And I do NOT think they are becoming a "consumer" company. They are a Commodity company (IMHO)

The MBPr has no user upgradable parts, yet it's an otherwise great laptop for Pro users. I don't doubt that's what we'll see a move towards with the MP replacement. What they've learned from the consumer side is pushing people to upgrade every year or two is the method to increased sales.

What they don't want is what I did by updating my 2008 MacPro with the not officially supported ATI 5770 to use FCPX (and some did with 2006 MP even). They don't want computers that people hang on to for 4 to 6 years. It really looks like they want to force new purchases. Hence why they don't have interim upgrade for iMac and MacPro. This is part of their new business model.

The MP replacement, like your iPhone 4S and iPad (new) are great but you'll want to buy the new ones next year (or at least the year after). 2013 will be the MP move into that arena. 2015 will be Optical Thunderbolt for the push following that (my guess). Basically they're moving to shorter product life cycles. That's the commodity approach.
June 13, 2012 11:54AM
In the meantime and assuming all is working well with your Tower and assuming you got an extra PCIe slot sitting there, go get yourself an internal bootable, no drivers needed SSD drive.

[eshop.macsales.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 13, 2012 12:32PM
That's a brilliant solution Mike. I'll tell you...the best thing I EVER did was order my last Macbook Pro with the smokin' fast Apple 512 GB SSD (haven't missed a tower for years). I would never use anything else as a boot drive other than an SSD.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 13, 2012 12:38PM
Is there any advantage on the PCI SSD card over a SSD boot drive installed as a hard drive? I did the OWC SSD boot drive on both my mac pros and it's been an excellent investment.
June 13, 2012 12:53PM
Probably not, unless the specs say different. But it is kind of a cool solution. I imagine some engineer felt sorry for empty slots and decided to give them a place in the sun.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 13, 2012 07:32PM
I agree regarding the SSD drive. Blazing fast start up times.

The retina MBP? Yea, it seems to be a commodity already. Full on with soldered in RAM. Not sure if I want a Mac Pro made this way.

[iphone.appleinsider.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics