Capture tape HDV in FCP-X

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Capture tape HDV in FCP-X
January 09, 2013 06:39PM
Hello,

I'm expecting some footage, that will be deliverd and captured by a 3rd party.

This 3rd party is new (they have FCP-X) and I want to make sure they are retaining all the quality, when they capture or "import" as it's known in X.

The footage is HDV, bit rate around 25/mbs.

I've never used X, will it automatically capture in a method to retain the highest quality? Do you have to select what codec it captures to?

The footage will be edited in Premiere, so is there another codec that will retain the quality other than Pro Res?

Thanks
Re: Capture tape HDV in FCP-X
January 10, 2013 06:14AM
Hey Joe

For the capture :

Select the drive you want your material to be stored on in the event library. Top Left.

Right click hard Drive in Event Library and select New Event.

With previously created event selected go to import.

Beware that the Import Button changed changed since 10.06ish it snow a file with arrow instead of a camera!

With respect to the import window make sure you have the drive selected from the previous steps

Import transcode options...

Optimized media : always ProRes 422

Proxy media : always Apple ProRes 422 Proxy

Select the first for better quality

For the HDV part check out Larry Jordan Video

I know nothing about Premiere
January 10, 2013 03:35PM
>The footage will be edited in Premiere, so is there another codec that will retain the quality other than Pro Res?

Premiere can take native HDV QTs and work with it. Not sure if FCPX can capture HDV natively. ProRes may be less of a hassle though, as it doesn't have to depend as heavily on machine performance for scrubbing through footage. But considering it's only HDV, a decent machine should be able to handle it without issues.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 11, 2013 03:13AM
The Import preferences in FCP X are deceptively easy

There is optimized or proxy

i.e. Pro Res 422 or Pro Res Proxy

A little confusing is the third scenario... Your files are already optimised in which case the optimized option is grey out. You dont need to optimize some thing that is already optimised. It is already Pro Res 422 after all.

So there are 2 options.

The first of which is or is not available to you depending on the nature of your material!

With HDV both options should be available to you. Select optimized for better quality

good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics