Creative Cloud Open Letter

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Re: Creative Cloud Open Letter
October 04, 2013 11:10AM
Did your email say definitively that you were part of the group whose details were compromised? My email said I may have been but didn't say for sure either way.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 04, 2013 11:14AM
I'm not going to even try finding excuses, but I made sure I got 2 bank accounts as I didn't want to have my money wiped out with one.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 04, 2013 11:38AM
I did not get any email from Adobe. Looked in my spam folder too.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 04, 2013 11:45AM
Guys,

don't ever use the main company bank account, or the account where grandma's inheritance is deposited to make online payments. Never, ever. If you think that your personal identity hasn't been comprimised long ago, and that your credit card data is 100% secure anywhere, then I've a tower in Paris, a bridge in New York and a big church in Rome to sell you.

Sign of the times. We deal with it.

That said, here's what I received from Adobe, together with a link and notification to change my password: "We do not believe any decrypted card numbers were removed from our systems." and "We currently have no indication that there has been unauthorized activity on your account."
October 04, 2013 11:58AM
If your credit card details have been compromised, you may not necessarily know immediately. It may be lying dormant in a database for some time before someone tries to use it. But nowadays most card providers will credit back all unauthorized transactions, which is why it's better to use a credit card because then it's the bank's money that gets lost in the interim, not yours.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 04, 2013 07:20PM
Yeah my email from Adobe said:

"We recently discovered that attackers illegally entered our network. The attackers may have obtained access to your Adobe ID and encrypted password. We currently have no indication that there has been unauthorized activity on your account. If you have placed an order with us, information such as your name, encrypted payment card number, and card expiration date also may have been accessed. We do not believe any decrypted card numbers were removed from our systems."

All I did was change my password. I'll keep an eye on my credit card statements online more often.
October 04, 2013 08:10PM
You know, when FCPX came out many of us hated it. HATED it. But there were three options. Some moved to an alternative, some stayed where they were, and others just sucked it up. Those are pretty much the same options now with Adobe. The fact that the products are killer apps with few viable alternatives makes it hard to switch, so really it's stay where you are, or drink the new Kool Aid.

I personally am very happy with the Cloud. I do get it free now, but I was more than happy to spread my bi-yearly payments out rather than lose a large lump sum all at once. Plus, the software is awesome and improving all the time. And that's not me advertising Adobe. I really am happy with the great leaps they have made with NLEs.

As for the hacking - in Australia we have protection against money being illegally accessed from our accounts. Do you not have a similar thing, where you show you didn't spend the money and the charges are reversed?

October 04, 2013 08:16PM
Yep, the US has this too. I don't know if it's mandatory or voluntary but most major banks and credit card providers do it.

My software:
More tools...
October 04, 2013 11:19PM
A friend told me that the process when claiming fraud protection is rather troublesome. But I do get notified when a certain amount has been deducted from my account.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 04, 2013 11:46PM
We did it here once on a product we ordered that was never delivered. It took a while, but wasn't too demanding.

October 05, 2013 12:13AM
I had some unauthorized transactions once and it then took the bank weeks to reach a conclusion but luckily they'd given me the benefit of the doubt and credited it back immediately.

My software:
More tools...
October 05, 2013 07:06AM
Hey Jon, really enjoyed seeing you on the latest video on LAFCPUGs YouTube. I'm telling all my locals about Kollaborate, in the hopes that they'll take it up and make my life a bit more streamlined.

October 05, 2013 01:57PM
Thanks Jude, really glad you like it.

My software:
More tools...
November 11, 2013 01:49PM