severe luma jumps in PhotoJPEG

Posted by chawla 
severe luma jumps in PhotoJPEG
September 07, 2003 09:25AM
I don't remember seeing this one discussed

start a new project, OLRT

Load color bars into the viewer then edit into the sequence

hit the space bar, luma jump is pretty extreme.

Use option P to watch the WM and VS and neither shows the jump. Viewer doesn't show it either. Load footage, and though it can be difficult to see, its there as well. BUT NOT IN THE VIEWER OR WM OR VS!

In FCP3 this doesn't happen (just double checked witht he same clips to make sure!)
A few more details, por favor senor chawlisto? Is this just an artifact of the RT settings, or in your output? Does it happen with DV out FW?

1) What is your RT setting?

2) Is FW-out on or off

3) Are you seeing this in the Canvas or NTSC monitor?

4) What happens if you put the Canvas in 100%, non-square pixel?

--Raoul
pardon moi
September 07, 2003 06:24PM
should have fleshed it out a bit more

This is entirely on the PowerBook desktop with no video output (the way I do almost all OLRT, FW preview of OLRT being pretty raunchy looking. I'll check the output levels there tomorrow if I can, though if the WM and VS don't show it, I'd assume its normal going out?)

Its a PhotoJPeg sequence OLRT, 35% quality. The nasty JPEG artifacting, I'm used to seeing, but not the luma jump.

No NTSC, Canvas set to 100% (other sizes exhibit same)

Can't change to NSP in Canvas because its PhotoJPEG.

Guess I should qualify 'pretty extreme.' If I use Color bars int he sequence, the middle Pluge bar goes from where it should be at just hitting visibility, to what must be damn near 20-25 IRE. Bright. This washes out a lot of what is already a degraded image. Pause playback and its back to normal. Option P and the levels in the WM and VS do not reflect the jump, and it ain't in the Viewer for these clips. Its just a Canvas aberration
Okay, I get it now.

I have a standard OFRT NTSC P-JPEG sequence setting, and have the standard NTSC Color bars generator in the TL.

In the canvas, in Image + Wireframe mode, I do see a severe luma jump when I go into Play mode. In regular Image mode, I don't. The degradation is clearly visible on the NTSC monitor, too.

I'm on a Dual 1GB, Cinema Display, FCP 4.0.2, 10.2.6, QT 6.3

RU in Image + Wireframe mode, maybe?

--Ralph
yepper
September 08, 2003 08:14AM
Good thinking. Its there in Image and Wireframe and in Show Overlays. If you disable them both, it seems to be OK. So this appears to be another thing possibly related to Overlay. So you see in the FW output? Chilling...
Re: severe luma jumps in PhotoJPEG
September 20, 2003 10:53PM
Happens in PAL land, too FWIW.

I wouldnt call it "severe" tho, but quite noticable.

Nick
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics