Media Manager - messes up with Freeze Frames

Posted by Ralph Fairweather 
The MM has always messed up with Freeze Frames in small ways, but it seems to have taken a giant step backward. I'm really hoping nobody can reproduce this, and it is pilot error. It is so basic that it shakes my faith in how well this version of MM has come through the Master > Affiliate overhaul.

1) Insert a 10 sec clip into the TL. I'm using a 1 min 12 sec A/V DV-NTSC clip called "Tree" as my master clip, captured in FCP 4.0.2.

2) Go to the last frame, do a match frame into the Viewer (f-key) and Make Freeze Frame. You get a 10 sec freeze frame in the viewer.

3) Insert that 10 sec FF into the TL, immedeately following the 10 sec live video clip. You have a 20 sec sequence, with 10 secs of live video and the last frame frozen for 10 secs.

4) Make Seq Clips Indy, and do a MM > Create Offline > Delete Unused. No handles, Use Existing file names, no affiliate clips. Keep it simple.

5) Batch re-capture the MMed sequence in the new project.

RESULT: FCP captures fully 2 mins of live video for the clip called Tree. The video images are correct, but the original master clip was only 1 min 12 secs, and it only needs 10 secs to cover the video used in the sequence.
EXPECTED: FCP would re-capture a 10 sec live video clip, not a 2 min clip.

--Ralph
It gets worse. When the freeze frame is from a part of the underlying master clip that is not in the sequence, after you MM you get the wrong frame showing, for your FF. This is getting pretty bad. The steps are almost identical to the first post, but you don't freeze the last frame of the sequence clip. Instead, you freeze a frame further down in the master clip, that is not represented in the TL

1) Open a master clip in the viewer from the browser, mark out a 10 sec clip, and insert it into TL. I'm using a 1 min 12 sec A/V DV-NTSC clip called "Tree" as my master clip, captured in FCP 4.0.2.

2) In Viewer still, scrub to an area of the clip well away from your marked In-Out points, and make a freeze frame, and then insert that at the end of the first 10 sec live video clip. You have a 20 sec sequence, with 10 secs of live video and another freeze frame, from elsewhere on the same master clip.

4) Make Seq Clips Indy, and do a MM > Create Offline > Delete Unused. No handles, Use Existing file names, no affiliate clips. Keep it simple.

RESULT: The freeze frame in the new MMed sequence is not the same image as the one in the original sequence. It is off by *exactly* the amount of TC offset from the Media Start to the In point, of the original master clip.
EXPECTED: A complete re-write of the MM. This is just intolerable in a 4.0 app.

I'm sure hoping I'm doing something wrong here. I can't believe this shipped with such a fundamental function so badly broken. The workaround is to use the TC written into the clip name of the FF. In a 2 hour project with several 100 FF's this would be a deal breaker, I think.

--Ralph
And it gets even worse.... If you have an FF in a sequence from a master clip, but that master clip is nowhere at all in the actual sequence, but only in the browser, when you do an MM > Create Offline > Delete Unused and recapture, the FF comes up Offline.

There is no workaround for this, without a looooot of work. The FF has no reel number, so you have to dig way back in your project to salvage any FF's that you media manage, when no other video from that rel is in the sequence.

1) Open a master clipin the viewer from the browser, mark out a 10 sec clip, and insert it into TL. I'm using a 1 min 12 sec A/V DV-NTSC clip called "Tree" as my master clip, captured in FCP 4.0.2.

2) Open a second master clip from a second reel in the viewer, and Make Freeze Frame

3) Insert that FF into the TL. You should have a 10 sec live video sequence clip from one clip/reel, and a FF from a second master clip/reel.

3) Make Seq Clips Indy, and do a MM > Create Offline > Delete Unused. No handles, Use Existing file names, no affiliate clips. Keep it simple.

RESULT: The freeze frame in the new MMed sequence is offline after the capture.
EXPECTED: FF would be online, and the right frame.

--Ralph
geez man
September 07, 2003 07:59PM
I'll try and go through this tomorrow...
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics