RT settings hardware bug

Posted by Tom Wolsky 
RT settings hardware bug
September 19, 2003 08:39AM
There appears to be a very strange bug that at first glance appears to be hardware related. I have it on my G4/733. Antti Merikukka has it on a PB667. Others have reported it as well.

In the RT popup there will be a Medium and Low setting, but no High setting. I've worked with a number of different machines, various G4 towers, two PBs, a lowly old 400 and a 867, and none of them show this. But some machines will and we can find no way to fix it, tried everything up to and including a complete OS and software reinstall. It's always like this on these particular machines. It would be nice if it could be narrowed down to specific models, but it may only be specific machines in a model series.

All the best,

Tom
Re: RT settings hardware bug
September 19, 2003 08:44AM
Correction the PB/867 has the problem as well. Any machine with a 7 in its model number? Or a machine with odd MHz speeds like 733, 867, 667? Too weird.

All the best,

Tom
Chi-Ho Lee
September 19, 2003 11:36AM
A single 800 G4 quicksilver shows this. But another G4 800 quicksilver did not.

-CHL
PB 867 here
September 19, 2003 06:02PM
haven't seen this on this 867 PB or the Dual 800, single 1 GIG or the Dual gig. Haven't heard of it either...
September 19, 2003 08:14PM
I get all the settings on my PB 800.
September 20, 2003 04:09AM
Likewise on my Dual 800. Very strange.

- Loren
Today's FCP4 keytip:
To resize all video or audio tracks:
press Option and drag any divider!

FCP4 KeyGuide? now available at discount at
The LAFCPUG store!
September 20, 2003 06:02AM
"Today's FCP4 keytip:
To resize all video or audio tracks:
press Option and drag any divider!"

Yes, but how do you return to the default size? Shift-T cycles through based on the current setting. So if you're in small track size, make them big, and then use Shift-T it goes bigger, bigger and giant.

All the best,

Tom
September 20, 2003 06:09AM
Hi Chi-Ho,

Can you tell if there is anything different between the the single 800s that would make one have High and the other not?

All the best,

Tom
speaking of which, Shift T oddness
September 20, 2003 07:30AM
If you make one track larger than the rest through option clicking, then Shift T to cycle through the sizes, the relative differernt size of the track is kept consistent. When they all get larger, the one maintains its larger size, ya dig? Now if you actually click the Track Size button (of which Shift T is the shortcut), it resets them all on the first click. I don't mind the relative size sticking, but it is supposedly the same command, unless I am missing something

Expected: Shift T would yield the same result as the Track Size button and reset all track sizes when cycling through

Result: Shift T maintains relative track size when cycling through..

Anybody confirm this?
Re: Shift T oddness is good
September 20, 2003 08:19AM
Yes, I can confirm that.

But if it's a bug, it's a benign bug.
It's good to have 2 approaches with 2 different outcomes.

If I need to cycle, but, maintain relatvie size, Shift T.
If I want to re-set, click the track-size button.

Nick
i agree, I like the option
September 20, 2003 08:25AM
but it probably should use a different enabler keystroke...
Chi-Ho Lee
Re: speaking of which, Shift T oddness
September 20, 2003 11:10AM
Charlie,

I can confirm this too. I thought it was a feature. I kinda like it. It maintains my custom track size but yet still let them get bigger or smaller bases on my custom size. Clicking the actual tach height button to reset it seems logical to me.

Can you try to rotate a nest by keyframing it? I didn't work the other day and now it does. Just wondering if I was drunk and didn't know it.

-CHL
Chi-Ho Lee
September 20, 2003 11:17AM
Tom,

They were two machines in a training center so i don't have access to them right now. I'll try to find out.

-chiho
yepper
September 20, 2003 11:22AM
I agree, the option is useful. Its not a feature though, I would assume, if so the logic seems backwards with regard to the normal interface workflow. If Option dragging makes them all resize the same, keystroke-dragging or clicking should enable resetting INDIVIDUAL tracks as well. using the mouse without keystrokes TOGGLES the WHOLE THING, which makes sense.

what if I want to reset one or two tracks while leaving other tracks at odd sizes. There is a reset tracks control click option, but it doesn't address individual track height. I'm already tired of accidentally grabbing the wrong track border and resizing, then having to reset all tracks, then go back and set the ones I want.

This is a lot more typing than this issue warrants, but its interface stuff and it makes me cry ;0)

I'll try and test the other thing for ya this afternoon
Reset individual track
September 20, 2003 05:10PM
Re-setting individual tracks is'nt impossible, but it's a bit fiddly
Grab the track with the mouse.
There's an invisible "click-stop" when it hits the original size.
You cant go too fast, tho, as you wont find it.

Nick
Chi-Ho Lee
September 21, 2003 04:28PM
Tom,

According to the training center both G4 800 powermacs are exactly the same. 10.2.6, 512mb RAM, 4.0.2

-CHL
[ There's an invisible "click-stop" when it hits the original size.
You cant go too fast, tho, as you wont find it.]

Huh! It pays to review threads. That's a a lovely subtlety! Good-o!

- Loren
Today's FCP4 keytip:
To record audio keyframes on the fly:
Command-Shift-K !

FCP4 KeyGuide? reveals ALL the power!
Now available at
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics