QT 6.4 downgrade to hell...

Posted by eraldo piccioni 
QT 6.4 downgrade to hell...
October 17, 2003 09:30PM
After QT 6.4 up/downgrade...FCP4 beachball spinning forever

Upgrade lately means downgrade to hell...it's the last time i update sofware until it rocks, never again... i have lost a month working hard on a big project..trusting in a worm-eaten Apple!!!

Forget my rant, but i'm furious.

All the best!
FWIW those who repaired permissions after the upgrade had no problems. Dont post on this forum until you have tried ALL available cures. The Cafe is for this post.

mike
Re: QT 6.4 downgrade to hell...
October 17, 2003 10:31PM
erealdo,
Could you please give the details of your programme, set-up?

Here is what I have experienced:

I took a chance and updated to QT 6.4.
Then I noticed problems with Offline RT sequnces.
I then updated to 10.2.8, but I still have the problems.

Actualy I can make a new Offline RT Sequnce, and put some text in it, and it plays fine.
I can put a DV clip into it, and while it needs, of course, renderding there are no problmes.
And I can open an OfflineRT clip in the viewer, and play it, no worries.

But as soon as I put an OfflineRT clip in an Offline RT Sequnce, and try to play it, of even park on it for a little while, I get the Spinning Beach Ball of Death.

If I RENDER the DV clip, I aslo have no problems, and that render file is naturaly a PJpeg file.

These were old clips, catured in FCP4, I'm positive.
Just to check, I did a new Offline RT Capture, and got the Beach Ball again.

FCP 4.02 / 10.2.8 / 800 TiPowerbook / 768MB RAM.
You repaired permissions Nick? i'm curious as this has seemed to cure this problem at least for some.
Yes I did.

I've been waiting for my own post to come back at me to edit that it...
Also a better Subject Heading.

(Sorry, quite eratic and poor behaviour on the Bigpond servers (my cable company) of late.)
October 17, 2003 11:40PM
Permissions seems to be a different problem, repairs something else endemic to all OS X installation. (The whole OS seems like a hacksie sometimes.)

The QT6.4 problems seems to go beyond that, seems very wide spread, yet random. Once again Apple shooting itself because of its absolute failure to test software properly and with sufficiently extensive a user base. Coming on the heels of the 10.6.8 fiasco, it beyond laughable into the truly sad and pathetic.

All the best,

Tom
October 18, 2003 02:06AM
Lucky for me I'm not actualy working on a JPeg project,
I just hapen to have some Offline RT in my FCP4 Test project.
and a possible OfflineRT job on Monbday is now being captured as DV.
---------------------------------------------

Here are more clues for QT detectives:

Imported the render files made in the Offline RT sequnce, THEY PLAY FINE.

With that in mind, I Tried Exporting / Importing using various settings:

QT movie / Current settings. Import, place in sequence FREEZES.
QT movie / choose same settings. Import, place in sequence FREEZES.
QT conversion using PJpeg. Import, place in sequence FREEZES.

QT movie Current settings. RECOMPRESS all frames. FCP FREEZES during EXPORT.

---------------------------------------------
But if it's all random, what does it matter...
Nick
Reported workaround
October 18, 2003 12:07PM
There's a reported workaround from the FCP_L:

After installing QT 6.4, do a full uninstall/re-install of FCP 4.0, and then update to 4.0.2.

Probably would want to update to 10.2.8 first.

You first, Nick :-)

If it works, then looks to me that the last 10.2.8, QT 6.4 and 4.0.2 are probably going to be the most reliable working combo for a while, until Panther and FCP 4.x is out, and a few dot releases come out to fix the issues and staunch the bleeding for the cutting edgers. And then it's on to NAB2004 and a whole new round of bugs!

--Ralph
Re: Reported workaround
October 18, 2003 12:42PM
Or revert to 6.3 with QT6.3 Reinstaller, which Apple has posted.

All the best,

Tom
October 18, 2003 08:00PM
I feel your pain, Tom.... Dang crap ought to just work!

FWIW, here's another *possible* workaround, involving updating the MPEG2 playback component. I'm dearly trying to find a way to make QT 6.4 work with LiveType and ORT, since QT 6.4 fixes the "crash on long renders" problem on a G5. According to a KB article today.

--Ralph

=========

Philip, while this by no means exhaustive testing, so far I have the
same experience as you. I have had no problems with rendering LiveType
in FCP on my 667 PB, the Dual MDD 1.25, or the dual 2GB G5.

Not that this has anything to do with it, but I do have the MPEG-2
component for 6.4 installed, and I did NOT repair permissions (which I
usually do).

Cheers,
--
Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corporation
mitch@insightproductions.com
www.insightproductions.com

On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 09:26 AM, Philip Hodgetts wrote:

>> Mitch,
>>
>> Try making a LiveType animation and see if you can render it in Final
>> Cut 4.
>> That's the problem I've seen posted on the Apple FCP Discussion board.
>
> I have been rendering LiveType in Final Cut Pro 4
> with QT 6 for some weeks now, without problem.
> --
>
> Philip Hodgetts philip@IntelligentAssistance.com
> President and CEO 818 609 1091
> Intelligent Assistants for Digital Media Software -
> More than Training - Knowledge at the point of Need
October 18, 2003 09:01PM
OK, I'm game.

But tell me: How do i do an UN install of FCP4?
There isn't an un install option that I can see in the installer.
Customize just has options for installing indiviual packages.
No UN install option.

Similar problem in the QT6.4 installer when I looked yesterday: Customize was greyed out

Do I just Trash FCP4, and then re-install?

Nick
October 18, 2003 09:23PM

There isn't an un install option that I can see in the installer.

Okay, you busted me, Nick! I just assumed....

If there's no Uninstaller, then i guess it's just back to the old-fashioned way. In OS 9, I knew all this stuff, but not in OSX.

Drag all things FCP to a separate folder, or to the Trash, i guess. The app, Library/App Support, Preferences, (including all home directory incarnations), and what else? But I wouldn't - gulp - actually empty the trash. You're on your own, big guy :-) Love to hear how it works out. Good on ya, for going first!

--Ralph
here ya go, courtesy the TIL's
October 18, 2003 09:28PM
[docs.info.apple.com]

Ya gotta go deep. Hey, at least its not Avid Free DV, don't even THINK about trying to get THAT little monster out of your OS...
OK, well I did it all...
Didn't quite understand why I should trash 12Gigs worth of Livetype and
Soundtrack media, but did it all the same.

And it doesn't fix my problem. (FCP freezes on a OfflineRT clip in a
OfflineRT sequnce)
Things are a bit BETTER
In that it now takes a bit longer before FCP freezes.
But that's really not much better at all, is it?

I think I might leave 6.4 there for now, as I don't need to work with
OfflineRT at the moment.
DV seems alright at the moment.
Small DV based job tomorrow, so lets see what happens...

I guess that makes me a QT Beta tester.

Thanks everyone,
Nick
Justin
Downgrade to FCP 4.0
October 21, 2003 06:46PM
For those who were brave enough to install Panther already, you're out of luck in downgrading to QT 6.3, since QT 6.4 is bundled with the OS and the re-install package refuses to perform the downgrade.

Here's a possible quick-fix that APPEARS to be working (so far).

We DID NOT uninstall FCP 4.0.2 (not sure if this matters or not, but I'm just going to tell you the steps we took). Instead, we re-installed FCP 4.0 from the DVD and let it overwrite all the newer files. Since doing this, no more beachball of death. It sucks to have to go back to the earlier version of FCP, and I'm not sure what other implications this has, but at least it's possible to work for more than 5 minutes without the app hanging.

- J
Re: Downgrade to FCP 4.0
October 22, 2003 12:53AM
Interesting, Justin.

I wonder if you upgrades to 4.02, now you've cleared the decks, as it were, if you would still have problems?

There were reports (possibly even in this thread?!) of people fixing 6.4 problems by re-intalling 4.0 and upgradeing beack to 4.02.

Nick
October 22, 2003 07:42PM
So we're all agreed, QT 6.4 is the issue? I'nm waiting for Panther rather than step up to 10.2.8-- even the new edition. Jag 10.2.6 has been well-behaved with QT 6.3 and FCP 4.0.2 -- in that I don;t get spinning beachballs on Photo JPEG and things like that.

Also, I thought a deinstall under OSX simply meant dragging the app icon to the trash, and all related files would follow due to package links-- except for those shared with other apps like Compressor, etc. You still have to go in by hand?

Incidentally, workflow tip: whenever you install a package, ARCHIVE IT TO A STORAGE FOLDER-- the same place I archive my PLIST files, in a subdirectory. Makes situations like this a little easier to have .dmg's of every significant upgrade to the OS and FCP and QT.

- Loren
Today's FCP4 Default Keytip:
To both Scale and Rotate a Canvas image:
press Command while dragging the image handle.
Your Final Cut Pro keyboard power revealed.
Visit KeyGuide? Central at
www.neotrondesign.com
TK
October 29, 2003 06:08PM
Want fun? If you are an AJA IO user, QT 6.4 prevents you from editing your capture preset settings. You get a Error: Out of Memory warning. So, you can't change the audio capture settings or 16X9 or anything.

Downgrade to QT 6.3 you can edit your presets again. Upgrade to Panther (with QT 4) = hosed.
TK, it's not necessary to downgrade QT to make changes on AJA IO capture settings, simply download the newest firmware and driver from AJA website. It was an uncompatibility between Aja and QT 6.4! But this hadn't fix my issue: I'm not able to import uncompressed 10bit or 8bit because the captured files have drop frames! But if then I try to make a copy of this file using QT 6.4 and using uncompressed 10bit or 8bit it run well! Of course in this way i loose my TC!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics