slow motion FX problems

Posted by Graeme 
slow motion FX problems
November 26, 2003 07:33PM
Help,

I'm Running FCP 4.1 w/ QT 6.4 on a G5 2GHZ with 2.5g memory.

The app is pigging out (Spinning beach ball for at least 2 min.) whenever I use any slo-mo or time remap effect. My sequence is about 45 minutes long. Any clip I apply the slow mo effect to takes forever to render (I'm in safe RT). And any cuts or rolls I do to the shot after its rendered - same story -beach ball forever.

The only workaround I've been able to figure is keeping a seperate (empty) sequence open and dropping any clips I want to put slo-mo or re-maps on into that sequence - do my work and cuts there. I then cut and paste the effected clips into my working "real" sequence.
This takes a great amount of time and when I paste the clip into my "real" sequence it takes forever to paste (spinning beach ball like you wouldn't believe). Any advice would be appreciated.

graeme
MG
Re: slow motion FX problems
December 12, 2003 10:30AM
I'm getting similar problems.
FCP 4.1 QT 6.4 on a G4 dual 867mhz. with 768 memory, 10.2.6
MG
December 12, 2003 10:49AM
Same behavior on my 2nd system.

FCP 4.1 QT 6.4 on a G4 dual 800mhz. with 640 MB memory, 10.2.8
December 12, 2003 04:57PM
I'm wondering now if it might be related to long master clips. We've digitized a lot of our material as long single clips - ie: digitized a whole source tape as one clip -then break it down into subclips. I then log and name the subclips. Organize the subclips into bins according to content and pull sections from the subclips to edit into my sequence.

I'm wondering if the slo mo problems arise b/c FCP is poorly structured in a way that it has to reference and process the whole long master clip when you apply slo-mo fx to sections of the sub-clip . If FCP has to jig the numbers for a 30 or 40 min clip each time you put an effect onto a small section of a subclip then I can see that being problematic.

Unfortunately, using the media manager to change my sub-clips to master clips hasn't seemed to solved the problem.

I'm stumped. But just in case I will avoid digitizing long clips for my next episode. The amount of time this has cost me is phenomenal.
It sucks ass!!
December 15, 2003 07:32PM
"I'm wondering now if it might be related to long master clips."
Could be, Graeme.
But a workaround for the reallty long wait dealing with slo-mo clips was to subclip the section you wanted to effect.
That worked in 4.0
Using the longer master clip took longer than the subclip.
If subs are causing you problems, maybe you should do a quick export, turining them into smaller files.

Nick
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics