Scaling Algorithm

Scaling Algorithm
December 02, 2003 09:42AM
Ok, I know this is something I would promptly call a "Feature Request"..... but this aspect has been forgotten from the dawn of FCP: THE POOR SCALING ALGORITHM (sorry for shouting)

FCP is using an algorithm so bad that anything under 70% shows massive aliasing problems.

I for one used to complain about After effects using Bicubic scaling because better algorithms exist, but for a PRO app to use "Nearest Neighbor" ridiculous (i think)

OSX supports hardware Bi-cubic scaling through Open GL, utilized by CoreGraphics in the standard system screensavers and even in the Dock.

Also, FCP actually uses Bi-cubic scaling to scale the images in the Viewer and the Canvas, but the actual content is using "Nearest Neighbor"

I have made a "test sheet" compairing FCP 4.1 to Photoshop:

[homepage.mac.com]

From this it's clear that FCP delivers unacceptable results, its simply not good enough! Look at the edges of the FCP scale its really rough....

Ok, maybe not a bug, but something that is clearly wrong, right? (or come and moderate me!)

Why on earth did they not fix this when upgrading the Rendering Pipeline to 32 bit HDR?
Re: Scaling Algorithm
December 02, 2003 10:21PM
I hope you posted all this to the Apple FCP feedback page.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics