Copy & paste differences in 4.1

Posted by Tom Wolsky 
Copy & paste differences in 4.1
December 03, 2003 03:33AM
Why if you copy a clip in a Timeline and paste it into another Timeline does it follow the autoselect functionality; but if you copy a clip in the Browser and paste it into the Timeline does it follows previous FCP functionality, i.e. target or destination track settings, ignoring autoselect completely? The inconsistency is unnerving.

All the best,

Tom
Re: Copy & paste differences in 4.1
December 03, 2003 12:28PM
Fascinating difference in action, Tom. I could only surmise that copying a clip from the browser is "similar" to putting it in the viewer. While copying from another sequence, well, is different. Yeah, right.

I have to say that I always found copying clips from a sequence and pasting it into another sequence quite convoluted in FCP. And now its worse. When will the programmers let us do it the AVID/Lightworks way - put a sequence in the viewer and edit it into the canvas like it was a clip? Mark in/out and insert. Let us see a timeline for the viewer.

Or is that becoming too AVID like?

Mitch
You can do some of that. Open the sequence into the viewer. Mark I/O. Overwrite or insert. Though you can't see the layers or the tracks in the viewer of course. That would be too Avid.

All the best,

Tom
Re: Copy & paste differences in 4.1
December 18, 2003 03:32AM
Tom, you're absolutely right- this is inconsistent! Just experienced that.

As for treating a sequence like a clip, that is what nesting is all about. Just nest your desired group, Option-click the nest to open it in Viewer, then Insert, Overwrite, or select desired section.

To see the nest timeline, just double-click it. You can drag the tab out into its own timeline window so it doesn't onscure your main timeline.

But that reminds me of another issue I want to check upon. Hm.

I agree, it's not Avid like.

- Loren
Today's FCP4 keytip:
Open a bin in its own tab with Option-Enter!

The FCP4 KeyGuide? is the ideal holiday gift!
Now available at
www.neotrondesign.com
The problem here, Loren, or what I see as one, is that the sequnce can only be open in one place at a time.
That is, either in the viewer, or in the timeline.
This doesn't make it easy to just have a quick check of your track layout (timeline) before you patch the soutrce and target tracks (viewer).
Especialy if you have a complex timeline.

Nick
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics