Canon XL-1 and FCP 4.5HD

Posted by John the Video Man 
I just signed up to be an LAFCPUG member, so this is my first inquiry.

(1) My FCP mentor here in Boise says that the codec in my Canon XL-1 is different than the codec in my Sony DSR-11. When I capture long clips from a XL-1 tape with my DSR-11, the audio is unsync'd at the end of even 15 minutes. (I tape theater performances). My workaround is to capture segments of only 10 minutes and then splice them together. Is this a faulty FCP setup issue? Has Canon, Sony or Apple addressed this issue?

(2) I use FCP 4.5 HD now because it was available from Apple. One or two versions ago, I was able to connect my XL-1 to my Mac via firwire. Now, at version 4.5 HD I can't get it back into connection. The problem may be just my basic fumbling, so I will keep trying. I sure was glad to find in the LAFCP archives the definitive answer: Firewire Basic.

Over the last year or so I have looked for and never found the rock solid setup and connection protocol for connecting an XL-1 to FCP.

Best Regards
John
Re: Canon XL-1 and FCP 4.5HD
July 10, 2004 10:08AM
i have exactly the same prob, John. Have you ever got it to work?
nv
September 23, 2004 02:51PM
I have a similar problem. I cannot transfer video shot on a xl1 from my dsr11 to final cut pro hd 4.5. Any ideas why?
September 23, 2004 03:18PM
No, but I am about to completely reinstall my system software. I have tried everything else. I will report back as to whether it worked. Some ppl have reported success if they uninstall FCPHD, then reinstall, or reset permissions. Others say there is a fundamental prob with the XL1 FW protocol.

Observation: log and capture with the XL1 connected and VCR turned on results in FCPHD crashing 100% of the time, even with all the following precautions...

Things tried: , A/V preset NTSC firewire basic, FCPHD reinstalled, permissions reset, preferences trashed, camera turned on before G5 rebooted, another FW cable tried, memory set at 80%, camera captures on another FCPHD/G5 system, crashes occur with DSR-11 as well, and an XL1s

My system: G5 Dual 2GHz, FCPHD, XL1, Quicktime 6.5.1, no other FW devices connected
I'm just using the work around of capturing short segments one after the other then splicing. Bummer.

I wonder if this is still a problem with Canon's other DV cameras. The XL-1s, the XL-2, the GL series. Maybe Canon has silently made this problem go away in later models.

You have to notice that some of the systems houses bundled FCP and the XL-1. I wonder if they know something.

Here's something that does seem to work.

1. XL-1 recorded tape into the DSR-11.
2. Analog out of the DSR-11 to some miscellaneous analog VCR.
3. Dub.
4. Works fine.

So, if the above works fine, why can't FCP work fine via firewire?

Hummmm?

I have FCP captured DV tape from the DSR-11 that was recorded in some other brand camera and it worked fine. Do you have the same experience? Is this strictly a Canon FCP issue?

Top of the day to you all
John the Video Man
September 24, 2004 10:04AM
Hi John,

FCP prior to FCPHD was not as problematic as FCPHD apparently (I first started using FCPHD so I can't compare), and the XL1 is purportedly worse than the XL1s or GL2. No info yet on the XL2. But to reiterate, neither the XL1s, DSR-11 or the XL1 works on my FCPHD system.

An additional wrinkle: iMovie captures fine from the XL1. So it is something about how FCPHD wants to crash and burn when it sees the XL1. It will even crash when I try to adjust A/V presets with the camera connected so it sounds like as soon as FCPHD looks at the XL1 FW connection in a focused way it gives up the ghost.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Biti
October 01, 2004 07:34PM
Problem resolved.

It was another FW install I had done 9 months ago. I removed all IOExpert associated files (drivers in the Library installed for Fire-i, a FW webcam) and FCP HD did a Log and Capture normally with the XL1.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if it does.

Biti
November 01, 2004 11:32AM
anyone have you had this problem come up:

haven't had any issues prior, but now when i go to log and capture and click capture now it will capture for about 5 seconds and an window pops up saying :

capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. this
could be due to a problem with the tape. capture has been aborted and your
clip has been saved.

thanks
Hello Brian!

I got this message a few days ago, when I was capturing from a minDV recorded on LP mode with my Canon XL-1. I was capturing this tape with my Sony DSR-11 deck. In an hour's tape time I got the message about four times. I have resolved to not record at LP speed any more.

You might dub to another tape and capture the new tape.

You might have to capture your original tape with a deck and not your camera.

Try a few variations.

Oh, and clean your tape heads. That might help.

Top of the day to you.
John the Video Man
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics