Capture Problem: Stereo becomes a1 + a2

Posted by Palle Andersen 
Problem:
I create offline clips (mostly 20-30) with the Audio setting "Stereo". Also in the Log and Capture window I set the clip setting to Stereo. Then I select all of my offline clips and Batch Capture. The clips are captured from a Sony DigiBeta Recorder. Evereything looks ok - but: when I import the clips on a different Mac in FCP (same fcp version etc), all the clips are a1 + a2.
Ive tried trashing the FCP preferences, setting up everything new, and it will work a while, it seems, but the problem always reoccurs.
Is that a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in anticipation for all help!

i think it could be classed as a bug.

the problem seems to be with the re-conect stage, from memory.
right now my gear is dispersed across a few locations, and i cant really run any verifications. or even refresh myself on what makes it happen.

tell me, are you able in the browser to select the clips, then control click in the "audio" column and modify a1+a2 to stereo?

a(nother?) workround we used was to put all our browser clips into a sequence prior to switching machines / reconecting.
the timeline clips maintain their correct format.

cheers,
nm
Hi!
Yes, in the browser I can make the clips offline, then control click a1+a2 to stereo. But since we have a lot of clips to capture, any extra activity slows down everything. I already lose much time due to the "dropped-frames-problem" when editing to tape, so I'm trying hard to solve every problem.
The whole process is like this:
My current project is a TV film for the German ARD.
The films are shot on 16mm film, then digitized onto DigiBeta in a lab. I get the sound on WMF files, recorded on a Deva.
With the Sebsky Tools App I turn the WMFs into MOVs. Then I Capture a Tape and add the sound (slate) During that, I write a TC list for recapturing. Then I dub the sound back to the tape with Edit To Tape. After that I Make offline clips referring to my TC list and then batch all the clips, with the names of the Scenes/Takes etc. The clips are then, on finder level, via network, brought to an editor, who imports the clips to FCP and puts the whole thing together.
My antecessors in the company have developed this procedure, which seemed to be the only way to get to the wanted result with correct TC etc. I'm also looking for a more convenient way of working, to speed up things, not having to run trough the tapes so often, losing so much time..
Palle,
i am going to re-post this in the cafe, as we are moving away from bug teritory.
i will try to answer over there.

cheers,
nm
cafe thread link:

[www.lafcpug.org]
Did offline capture in a1+a2. When I did online uprez capture to DV, FCPHD captured the clips as stereo. I suspect it's all a related "issue."
I now use the following workaround:
I log my offline clips. Then I select all my clips and do Batch Capture. I uncheck "Use logged clip settings" and make sure in the Log and capture Window The setting is "stereo". Then I batch capture all my clips, and get my stereo files.
All other attempts went wrong, so I'm waiting to see if it's different in the next FCP update.
so what happens when you transport the clips to a different machine?

i had problems when reconnecting.
the clips would often revert to a1+a2

nm
When unchecking "Use logged clip settings" everything stays stereo on all machines, also when reconnecting. The info is in the meta data in the QT files. When captured right, they seem to stay that way.

There is a new comment from Mitch on this in the cafe:

[www.lafcpug.org]
just read it, palle, thanks.

mitch's take is that it's panning the clips to center that breaks something.
interesting observation.
certainly rings true for me as we panned all our stereo clips to center, too.

cheers,
nm
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics