Works in simulator, not in DVD Player

Posted by BDelpy 
Works in simulator, not in DVD Player
April 30, 2006 09:25PM
Hello everyone,
I'm having a problem--my project plays well in Simulator, but when I build it and play in DVD Player, it does not function well. There is one script that doesn't seem to work. It is set up so that if you go from a menu to a track, and then press the remote menu button, you will go back to the menu you came from and highlight next button (I have main menu with several buttons that play tracks, and then also Chapter Index menus for those tracks--so I can't just assign the Main Menu to the remote Main Menu button because you might have come from the Chapter Index menu).

So my scripts are a pre-script that puts a value in GPRM 1, then a end jump script that does this (thank you to tutorial I found on the Creative Mac website--I think author is David Nagel):
div GPRM 1, 32
mul GPRM 1, 32
move GPRM 2, SPRM 8
div GPRM 2, 1024
add GPRM 1, GPRM 2
jump indirect GPRM 1

This script is made to be the end jump for the tracks, and also for the remote Menu button setup for those tracks.

But here is the problem: When I play in the DVD Player, the remote Menu button works the first time it is used, and after that the DVD freezes, or the Menu button has no effect at all. Here is an example:

Play DVD. From Main menu, hit button to play a track. Works ok
Hit menu button on Remote. Works ok, takes you back to Main menu.
Hit Chapter Index button, takes you to Chapter Index menu. Ok.
Hit first button on Index menu--takes you to track. Ok.
Hit button on Remote--it freezes.

Here is something interesting: if you click Chapter Index button# 2 first (instead of button #1) and go to that track, then press Menu, that Menu button has no effect. This is same for other Chapter Index. But for buttons #1, 3, 4, after clicking Menu button, it freezes.
Sorry, this is hard for me to put in words, I am probably just confusing! But maybe a clue?

Is there anyone who knows what is the problem, and how should I fix it? Here is my system: mac 10.3.9 G5 dual processor, DVD studio pro 3.0.2.

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Works in simulator, not in DVD Player
May 01, 2006 09:54AM
Sorry, I can't follow what you are trying to accomplish, but this script move (move GPRM 2, SPRM 8) seems Dangerous to me. You must REALLY know what you are doing to modify the System Parameters (SPRM's) on the DVD Player. One mention of it is suspect to me.

Other that that, your intention for operation of the DVD is unclear.
May 01, 2006 12:40PM
Hi John, thanks for responding. Sorry I wasn't clear. I'll try to summarize what it is I want the DVD to do:

When you are watching the DVD (any track), when you press the Menu button on the remote, it should take you back to the last menu you were at (which could be the Main Menu, or it could be a Chapter Index menu). That's it.

This is accomplished with the Menu Prescript and the Track End Jump script. It performs fine in Simulator, but not after building.

With line 3 "move GPRM 2, SPRM 8", I am not modifying the SPRMs--I am merely putting the value of SPRM 8 into GPRM 2. (SPRM 8 holds the value of the last highlighted button).

The script was a little confusing for me too at first. What it's doing is taking the value of what's in GPRM 1, and bringing it down to the base numerical value of the last menu viewed (which is thus the value of Button #1 in the menu). Then, I grab the value of the last button highlighted (which is always a funtion of 1024) and bring it down to the number of the button in the menu. Then, I add those two values, which gives me the number of the next button to highlight. Does that make sense? Here is the tutorial for this script, which will explain it better than I can.
[dvdstudiopro.digitalmedianet.com]

This script gets attached to Track End Jumps, and to Remote Menu setting for tracks.

If anyone knows of a different way to script what I want, could you please share with me? because maybe it might work better after build...

Again, thank you for response, and much appreciation for any help regarding why this performs well in Simulator but not after build!

BD

May 01, 2006 01:55PM
You need to adjust the script, I think.

You have a line in there to divide by 32, followed by one to multiply by 32... net result is the number you first started with.

I would approach this a different way. Dave Nagel's scripts are good, but rely on the internal allocation of item values (hence the '32' for a menu). In later versions of DVDSP the item values are different. For example, Tracks, in outline view order, start at 49280 and increment by 128 each time (v3) or 640 each time (v4).

Your most simple solution is as follows.

Set up a script as the start up item for your disc... in it put the following:

mov GPRM1, 1
Jump menu1

Now, create a script for every menu that you have got, but change the value to make it unique each time. DO NOT place these as pre-scripts or the following won't work. Set each button on any menu that takes you to a different menu to point to the appropriate script instead. For example, if you are on menu 2 and want to go to main menu then point the button to the start up script just created. If you are on menu 2 and want to go to menu 3 then go via the correct script.

Now, create a final script:

mov GPRM2, SPRM8
div GPRM2, 1024
Jump menu1 [GPRM2] If (GPRM1 = 1)
Jump menu2 [GPRM2] If (GPRM1 = 2)
Jump menu3 [GPRM2] If (GPRM1 = 3)

Set this as the menu call and end jump for the track and you will go back to the last menu and last button on that menu each time.

If you use a pre-script for each menu (tempting as it is) then GPRM based button jumps won't work.

Whilst this is not quite as neat and tidy as the script you are using, it is a system tailored exactly for the project you have got and isn't a generic script to apply to any project. It will work... :-) Of course, you can use any GPRMs that you happen to have lying around, and not use 1 & 2 as I have done, if you wish.
May 02, 2006 02:51PM
I may be way off here, so forgive me if this response is insufficiently geeky... :-)

We were discussing this same goal last week and determined that it could be done easily buy simply using a story and changing the remote parameters for the remote while in "story mode".

The basis of this conclusion was the info on page 610 of the DVDSP4 User manual (Configuring the Remote Control Buttons).

Maybe I missed something, but it sure sounds like one way to get the job done.
May 03, 2006 08:44AM
And you'd be right, Tom!

Stories are often the way to get things done if scripting seems too tricky or just plain OTT for the job.

The OP seemed to have gone some way into the scripted solutions, which is why I offered an alternative scripted approach... but stories are so much more simple (if not a little long winded) to set up.
May 03, 2006 11:48AM
Hi Hal,
Thank you so very very much. This works perfectly. You have REALLY saved me here. Also, that is interesting about the item values changing from version to version. So much to learn.

Again, much appreciation for your help!!!

BD

May 03, 2006 11:53AM
Hi Tom,
Thank you for your suggestion. I will try this way next time and see how it goes.

Thanks to all!

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics