MEDIA LIMIT EXCEEDED- NEED ADVICE

Posted by DM 
DM
MEDIA LIMIT EXCEEDED- NEED ADVICE
September 05, 2006 02:10PM
The following message came up after I finished building my project:

Build Warning: Compiled project is 2082.7 MB too large for currently selected disc media.

It's an SD disc.
My preferences setup is as follows: Two Pass VBR. Bit rate 4.0 Mbps, max bit rate 7.0 Mbps.
Motion estimation: Best

The project is about 80 minutes long. Where can I go from here? Try using compressor? Wonder how bad it will look with more compression ( if possible) and how much more will it take?

It took 4 hours to build this project. i would like a way to know before building what compression rate will make the media fit.
Any advice would be great as I don't want to go to another disc.

FC Suite 5.1.1
DVDSP 4
Re: MEDIA LIMIT EXCEEDED- NEED ADVICE
September 05, 2006 02:33PM
Did you convert your audio to Dolby Digital (aka AC-3)? If you don't do that, large projects are simply not possible with a reasonable bit rate for video.
You don't have to re-encode the video or anything. Just take the source to Compressor 2 and select any of the Dolby 2.0 presets that are available in every DVD preset group. That will give you a Dolby Digital audio file.

A bit rate of 4.0 Mbps is actually quite low for 80 minutes, if you use Dolby audio.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
September 05, 2006 02:35PM
> Build Warning: Compiled project is 2082.7 MB too
> large for currently selected disc media.

That's 2 GB more than the 4.37 GB a DVD will hold.

> My preferences setup is as follows: Two Pass VBR.
> Bit rate 4.0 Mbps, max bit rate 7.0 Mbps.
> Motion estimation: Best

Did you just drag and drop the .mov file onto DVDSP? How did you get the Quicktime compresed into MPEG-2?

> The project is about 80 minutes long. Where can I
> go from here? Try using compressor? Wonder how bad
> it will look with more compression ( if possible)

Compressor is what you have already used! Whether you open Compressor or Drag and Drop it onto DVDSP, you are using the same compression. You have got to use Compressor to minimize the file size which is smaller with a slower bitrate. However a 4.0 with Max of 7.0 is a little open and may be causing this. Try 4.0 with a 5.0 Max Bit Rate and see what the file size is and the quality of the video.
DM
September 05, 2006 02:59PM
I looked at the project details in the assests menu. I probably should have done this before the post but I'm relatively new to DVDSP.

Curious enough, my first project (disc 1 of 2) had the following info:

QT video/audio was at 17.54 GB each (QT movie self-contained)
PCM audio: 20 MB (used for top menu sound)
QT picture 160k.

Now this compiled to a little over 3.5 Gigs which is good for SD DVD. I burned it, no problems.

The project in question is actually a bit smaller!

QT video/audio 16.78 GB each
PCM audio 25 MB
QT picture: 160k.

The bar on the top menu says 7.0 Gigs for this one. This seems totally wrong. I must have screwed up somewhere but it's not showing in the assests list. It's like I have double the media.

It appears that I somehow have a corrupt build. I'm tempted to can this project and re-author it. It only took about 15 minutes to do as project #1 was the same layout/menuing system with different media.

Any votes.?
DH
September 05, 2006 03:33PM
Hi all.

DM, here is something you may want to try:

1:
Open the successfully burned project and perform a Save As to a different name.

2:
Close all projects, and open the new project you created in Step 1.

3:
Import all of the required assets for the second project. Then, remove all of the unnecessary assets that were left over from the Save As.

4:
Finally, after the necessary editing, try to burn this project.

When I became proficient in DVDSP, the first thing I did was to create a new project from scratch. I then set all of the settings across the board to the values that I prefer. Finally, I saved this project under the name New DVD Template.

When I need to create a new DVD, I open this New DVD Template project, and then perform a Save As to a new name. That new name becomes the new project. In this manner, I guarantee myself that burn problems due to incorrect settings are minimized.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

-DH
DM
September 05, 2006 05:31PM
thx for the suggestions/
dm
DM
September 06, 2006 08:03AM
thx for the help. I resolved this one. It was my error. I somehow loaded the assests into the menu twice, although it didn't show up anywhere except the giga bar at the top.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics