Exporting my mpeg2 for DVD

Posted by Ron Smith 
Exporting my mpeg2 for DVD
October 02, 2003 10:31PM
When I finish my fcp project and am ready to export for DVD I of course go file-export-quicktime-mpeg2-options at this point my mpeg encoder says my source size is 720 x 528. What is that? It's not even PAL. Everything is set for 720x480 DV NTSC. All file info in the browser for each clip says 720 x 480. Trashed preferences, reloaded everything. No go. I know the mpeg encoder comes with my dvdsp. Reloaded that too. I nest the entire sequence into a new project and I get the 720x480 but I lose some quality.

Please help...please. Thank you.
Re: Exporting my mpeg2 for DVD
October 03, 2003 12:40AM
What are you working with? Computer, OS, RAM, Program, source material, whatever you can tell us.
October 03, 2003 07:49AM
FCP 1.2.5 DVDSP 1.1 OS 9.0.4 G4-450 QT 4.1.2
System is bulletproof! Cranks out projects all the time.
This is the only hick-up.
October 03, 2003 10:45AM
When I used DVD SP1.1 I frequently had to export first as a quicktime movie and then export that as mpeg 2. But for the life of me I can't remember why. I don't think it was because of image size.

What is the source material?
October 03, 2003 02:38PM
canon xl1s footage, some imported 3d effects footage and some music files for ambiance
October 03, 2003 02:46PM
Cannons don't play nice with FCP, but you've had no problems up till now , soooo I'l guess the 3d stuff.

If they involve any graphics lots of artists work in a larger vertical space and then bring it back down to 480. I do this myself working with still menus. Can this be a possibility?
October 03, 2003 03:39PM
Well, i select a digitized clip with nothing on it, just the clip and try to export it to mpeg 2 and I get the 720 x 528 source size. The browser in FCP says the frame size every single clip is 720 x 480. Even the sequence.
October 03, 2003 04:05PM
That's pretty strange.

Trash the preferences, reboot and maybe that will do it.
October 03, 2003 07:14PM
Oh Marty, I've been around since FCP came out. I know every trick to fool it, turn it twist it, fake it out. I've trashed, retrashed, reinstalled, booted, kicked and screamed.

Could there be a nasty little extention conflict?
October 04, 2003 12:25PM
I'm out of ideas. The only extension conflict I'm aware of is the Raddv from Ceaner if you have that installed.
Have you tried exporting a QT Ref movie, and then opening that in the QT Pro Player? Then you can Export to MPEG2 using the QT MPEG Encoder.

-Jeff
October 09, 2003 07:16PM
Brilliant! However, when I do that I get "not enough memory to export movie" the test piece is only 10 minutes long.
Do i increase memory allocation? there is 17 gigs of hardrive space left.
What is it asking for?

Many Many thanks, this could be the work around!
Yes, I'd allocate a bunch of RAM to the QuickTime Player.

I imagine that you're having this problem because the QT MPEG Encoder was designed after FCP 2 was released, so it was probably never tested with FPC 1.2.5.

Good luck!

-Jeff
October 12, 2003 12:47PM
Ron, just read about your nightmare.

Brilliant! However, when I do that I get "not enough memory to export movie" the test piece is only 10 minutes long.
Do I increase memory allocation? There is 17 gigs of hardrive space left.
What is it asking for?

When I get this message it is usually when I try and Export from QT on it's own, (not from FCP Time Line). Happens almost every time. Try again with the FCP Movie brought into the timeline then Export.
David
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics