HELP: Oppinion/Suggestions Needed for DVD Dual Layer Compatibility

Posted by Gary Sumlak 
HELP: Oppinion/Suggestions Needed for DVD Dual Layer Compatibility
August 30, 2005 10:18AM
A week ago I picked up an LG GSA-1463A DVD+R Dual Layer burner and installed it in my G4-500 Dual Processor. Installation went perfectly and I have burned several single and Dual layer discs with, initially, Toast 6 and now Toast 7. I did not have one coaster!

I am using Maxell DVD+R DL 2.4x discs.

My problem starts when I play back the Dual Layer discs. I tried reading the dual layer discs in my G5's 4x Superdrive, and it just kicks them out. Same goes for my Daiwa DVD-6038 ($300 CDN) player. However, both my G4-733 1x Superdrive, and a Nova ($60 CDN) play the discs perfectly!!

I find it very odd that a first gen Superdrive can read the DL disc, and a 4x Superdrive cannot.

Seeing that there is going to be a wide variety of compatibility with the Dual Layer discs, can anyone relay their experiences with the format and general compatibility. Maybe even a recommendation on a specific brand and manufacturer. The reason I mention manufacture is that, and I am sure everyone here knows, most, if not all, brands have several plants where DVD & CD discs are manufactured (i.e. Maxell 8x Gold label DVD-R discs can be manufactured by Maxell in Japan or Ritek in Tiawan)

I have been fielding requests for Dual Layer productions and would like to make sure that I have the least likelihood getting returns.

Any suggestion or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Re: HELP: Oppinion/Suggestions Needed for DVD Dual Layer Compatibility
August 30, 2005 09:40PM
The first thing to consider is that there is ONLY DVD+R dual layer media available. The next is that more DVD players play DVD-R ONLY than those that play both formats.

Most DVD players made within the last two years can play both - and +R discs but older units usually favor -R.
There are both + and - DVD DL available.

What I dont understand is why is there DVD-R Dual Layer and DVD+R Double Layer

Whats the difference in DUAL or DOUBLE ?

DUAL 2 = 4
DOUBLE 2 = 4

Maybe its not that simple though.
August 31, 2005 07:33AM
Thanks Alex for the link!

Cool that Verbatim is putting out DL media as well, however maybe a little late to the plate, since I have yet to see any DVD-R DL compatible burners, including my LG, which is only compatible with +R DL discs. That and the reseller is very small at this time.

But, good to know none the less.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

August 31, 2005 07:41AM
It could be semantics, or it could be that double layer means that both sides of the disc are writable, single layer media. I've seen a couple of these, as well as pressed discs (i.e the original Stargate movie) of this configuration. Personally, I hate the media, pressed or burnable, as you can't put any kid of labeling on the media, and there is no SAFE side to set the disc down on outside of the case to keep from getting scratched.

Just begging for trouble, IMO!!

Of course, double layer could mean something else entirely.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

Re: DVD-R Dual Layer Compatibility
August 31, 2005 09:40AM
Well now - I had heard that someone would do DVD-R DL sometime this year but this is the first time I have actually seen it. Thanks

"Whats the difference in DUAL or DOUBLE ?"

That is a marketing thing. The DVD Consortium chose to say Dual Layer and the DVD+ group chose to say Double layer. A DVD written on boths sides is a Two Sided Disc.

OH! and the Pioneer A09/109 was the first mechanism to record both -R dual layer or +R double layer discs. They now have their 110/A10 unit shipping.
Re: DVD-R Dual Layer Compatibility
August 31, 2005 10:50AM
This is not a 2-sided DVD. It is 1 side, with 2 layers. A 2-sided DVD is a either a DVD 10, 14, or 18. A 2 layered DVD is a DVD-9.

-Alex

Alex Alexzander
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics