how to make optional music track?

Posted by irene 
how to make optional music track?
November 07, 2005 08:51PM
hello, hoping some of you more pro-DVDSP people might have some tips on how to do this. i'm editing a project and we need to give the composer a DVD copy of the film. he wants two versions, one with temp music, one with no music. so it occurred to me that i could do this somehow in DVDSP - same way that i can have different language tracks i can have one track with music, one without. i know how to do multiple language audio streams (or at least i've done the tutorial of this), but haven't worked with commentary or on / off music.

so some questions about how to do this:

is my A track the whole soundtrack including temp music, and my B track is the same soundtrack again minus temp music? or is there any way to have only the music on track B and turn it on and off (in other words, do i have to choose between hearing one track or the other, or can i layer two tracks and hear both at once like in final cut).

then, it seems the only naming options for my tracks (in the drop down menu for each track) are different languages. if there any way to customize the naming of these tracks to make it clear that one is music and the other is not?

and how would i make a menu button to jump between soundtrack versions?

many thanks in advance for your ideas,

irene
Re: how to make optional music track?
November 07, 2005 11:23PM
"(in other words, do i have to choose between hearing one track or the other, or can i layer two tracks and hear both at once like in final cut)".

Yes, you would have to choose. Because even if you mapped the music to other audio channels, they will either not come from the proper speakers in a 5.1 system, or be downmixed with the rest of the channels on an a stereo system.

"then, it seems the only naming options for my tracks (in the drop down menu for each track) are different languages. if there any way to customize the naming of these tracks to make it clear that one is music and the other is not?"

I believe you could flag the track as Director's comment by using one of those applications that hack an authored project post-facto (probably DVD AfterEdit?). Not with DVD SP itself. But note that if the commentary also appears as "English" (for example), I believe the viewer will realize it's a different English mix!

"and how would i make a menu button to jump between soundtrack versions?"

Just like you do with audio languages.
If audio stream #1 is music and audio stream #2 is no music, you make an audio submenu with two buttons (or no dedicated menu, but two buttons for that anyway). One button sets audio stream to #1, and the other sets audio stream to #2. Remember to make those buttons target something (at least themselves) besides setting the audio stream.

Obviously, the viewer can switch audio tracks without the need of menu buttons, by using the audio button on the remote control.

Let me know if you need more help.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics