DVDSP4 w/ external NTSC monitor

Posted by JustinB 
DVDSP4 w/ external NTSC monitor
November 17, 2005 09:22PM
So new in DVDSP 4 is the ability to view the Simulator on an actual external NTSC monitor. But apparently this only works with Macs that have video out though an AGP card (like the PowerBooks?) Is that true? You can't use a Kona card?

- Justin Barham -
Justin B,

DVD SP 4 added this feature, kind of.
It only works with the video output of a graphics card like the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition or similar. Probably the new 9600 Pro Mac and PC Edition does that too, for less money. You need an after market, Mac compatible AGP card with a S-Video output port. Once you have that, you can turn on external monitoring in the preferences. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with professional devices like the Decklink cards, or Firewire DV worklfows (which wouldn't be actually "monitoring", given the differences between MPEG and DV compression).
Hope this helps/
Re: DVDSP4 w/ external NTSC monitor
November 21, 2005 06:52PM
Thanks Robert. That's what I suspected. It certainly makes sense since the other devices can't play out MPEG2.

I sure wish the ATI X800 had video out, as I'm pretty sure to get one of those for Motion. I'm tempted to get a 9200 PCI as well for that purpose, but I don't think it's worth the precious PCI slot.

- Justin Barham -
November 21, 2005 09:31PM
The X800 has video out, kind of. At least for DVD SP. You just need a $20 cable (but you will loose the ability to use a second Mac monitor while using it).
The 9200 won't work for this purpose, because DVD SP's preview is based on AGP or newer technology. It won't help with Motion either, except maybe freeing the main AGP card from having to drive a second computer monitor.
Robert, didn't you forget to mention something in your message? smiling smiley

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
November 21, 2005 09:46PM
Great points Adolpho! I didn't think of that. Well I suppose DVD monitoring live via NTSC/PAL is something I can live without for now.

Best,

- Justin Barham -
Adolfo,
I was only trying to help. Getting information is important and people need it. It doesn't matter how they get it as long as they can make use of it. That's what's important above all. There are so many gyrations of problems and many things can go wrong, even if you do read the manual. Justin, obviously Adolfo's info is correct and I make honorable mention to the great Adolfo.
November 22, 2005 11:01AM
I was just kidding, Robert.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Wonderful! No problem. Information is key.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics