Copyright Management function - does it work?

Posted by filmman 
Copyright Management function - does it work?
June 29, 2006 09:41AM
I'm getting ready to send my feature film into the world. Does activating the copyright button in DVD SP work? It asks copying permitted, one copy permitted or no coppying permitted. There's also FCC and macrovision. I didn't know what they were so I didn't touch them, but I did choose no copying permitted.

Can you please advise if this feature of DVD SP actually prevents the viewer from making copies of the DVDs I send out, or is there a way around it? Or maybe there is a better way to protect copyright and copying.

Thanks for your response and expertise.
Re: Copyright Management function - does it work?
June 29, 2006 10:16AM
Try to have faith in the end users you aim to sell your disc to.

Any existing copyright can be "worked around" or cracked.

I wouldn't invest effort, nor the money into CSS Macrovision or FCC

Goodluck with your film.
Re: Copyright Management function - does it work?
July 04, 2006 02:36AM
The copy management only works when you send your project to be replicated... it doesn't work on a disc you burn in your computer.

Macrovision is a method of preventing people from copying a DVD onto a video tape. It works by scrambling the signal and typically, you'll just get a green screen. Applying Macrovision is done by the replicators who pay a hefty license fee for the privilege of being able to do so. They generally add a percentage on to the replication costs if you want to add this kind of copy protection. In DVDSP, all you are doing is adding a 'flag' to let the replicator know you want to use Macrovision.

Digital copy protection is done using CSS - Content Scrambling System. Again, this cannot be applied to a DVD-R and is added to a replicated project sent in on a DLT drive.

CSS and Macrovision are both reasonably old protection systems and both are easily bypassed using tools and information readily available on the Internet. That isn't to say you shouldn't use them, just that you need to be aware of what you are paying for.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics