best type of Quicktime format for use in DVD studio?

Posted by chaar 
best type of Quicktime format for use in DVD studio?
July 24, 2006 07:34AM
Quick query, I want to make a quicktime movie for use in DVD studio pro to make a dvd.

When i select export quicktime conversion in FCP, what kind of Quicktime format should I use for best quality and best space?

H.261 63 and 64 can't be read by DVD studio. So it seems only Uncompressed video is the way to go right?

Or is it MPeg-4 video? I thought Mpeg4 gives lousy VCD type quality.
Re: best type of Quicktime format for use in DVD studio?
July 24, 2006 09:34AM
MPEG-2 is the ONLY format that DVD authoring programs like DVD Studio Pro use. It is the format directed by the DVD Standard.

MPEG-2 or .m2v (Apple file named) for video and .aiff or AC3 (Dolby)audio are both available from Compressor output when you put in a .mov (QuickTime) file.

July 24, 2006 05:41PM
Just to add to what John said, DVDSP is itself a QT based application, and you *can* use .mov files as your track asset. However, when you do, DVDSP will encode it to be MPEG2 when you build the disc and will use the settings in your preferences.

To have more control over the encoding process you have to use an external app like Compressor, or invest in a better encoder such as MegaPEG.X or BitVice to do the job for you.
August 01, 2006 09:23AM
From FCP, export using QuickTime Movie instead of QuickTime Conversion. The latter will do some amount of compression, which gets compounded when you compress again to make the MPEG-2.

If you feel compelled to use QuickTime Conversion, I recommend Photo JPEG format at full quality. The result is almost as clean as uncompressed (you can see the difference on a TV).

bob rice
frameworx media
August 01, 2006 09:04PM
thanks guys. But i cannot find MPEG-2 in the FCP export conversion selection of video compressors.

As for using Jpeg Format @ full quality, i thought JPEG was usually lousier quality like with lots of bumps and blurred pixels in some areas of the picture.

When i export my movies to H2.64, with i believe is Mpeg 4 right? I cannot use it as an asset in DVD STudio Pro.. So usually I use Uncompressed coz it seems to be the only one useable.
August 02, 2006 12:25PM
You're mostly right about the JPEG format for video. A pleasant exception is Photo JPEG. If you select maximum quality with this format, you'll get excellent results. Also, check the size settings to be sure you're outputting to the full 720x480 res. Mine defaults to something a good deal smaller, so I have to set it every time.

This format feeds Compressor quite nicely and is almost as clean as H.264 at (720x480).

You can do MPEG from Final Cut in two ways.
- Use Quicktime Conversion and select the MPEG format (a medium quality option)
- Select "Compressor" from the Export menu. FCP (or FCE) will send the output to Compressor. The quality you get from this choice depends on the selections you make in Compressor.

Hope this helps.

bob rice
frameworx media
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics